Diamonds and Toads

Once upon a time, there lived an old widow who was incredibly cold and bitter. She had two daughters. The oldest daughter was named Daiyu and the youngest was named Tenten. The older daughter was similar to her mother. Therefore, she was her mother's favorite. Daiyu had inherited all the bad qualities of her mother. Whereas Tenten took after her late father. Tenten was sweet, gentle, and beautiful.

The mother despised her younger daughter and mistreated her. Poor Tenten was to do all the chores and lived on the leftovers of her older sister. Along with that, she had to bring water every day from a great distance.

One day, when Tenten had just drawn the water out of the well, an old woman asked her for some water. Tenten politely agreed. She held the pitcher as the old woman drank water. After she had kind-heartedly given her the water, she realized that the old woman had been a fairy in disguise.

"I bless you with a gift," the fairy smiled kindly at Tenten. "Whenever you speak, a jewel or a flower shall come out of your mouth, for you have a kind heart."

The girl thanked the fairy and went home. No sooner than Tenten entered her house, her mother started scolding her. As poor Tenten tried to explain her delay, diamonds, pearls, and lilies fell out of her mouth.

"What is this I see, child?" asked her mother, astonished. Tenten had never been happier. Her mother finally called her a daughter. Excitedly, Tenten told her mother about her encounter with the fairy. As soon as Tenten finished her story, Daiyu was called.

"Daiyu, do you fancy the same gift?" the old widow asked. "Go to the well to draw out water. And if an old woman asks you for water, treat her nicely."

The old widow forced her obstinate daughter to go to the well. Once at the well, Daiyu drew out some water. Before long, Daiyu saw a well-dressed beautiful princess approach. The beautiful princess asked for some water.

"I am not here to serve you," Daiyu snapped at her. "You can help yourself." Daiyu soon found out that the well-dressed woman was the fairy in disguise.

The fairy had taken the form of the princess to see if the girl's rudeness would go away.

"I shall give you a present," said the fairy. "A present that matches your ill-manners and rudeness. For every time you speak, a snake or a toad shall come out of your mouth!"

Soon after that, Daiyu ran home as fast as she could. The old widow had been expecting Daiyu and a present grander than that of Tenten's.

"Sweet child," the mother said as soon as she saw Daiyu, "what presents do you bring?"

And the moment Daiyu opened her mouth, two snakes and toads flew out. The mother screeched in horror.

"You evil girl!" the old widow screamed at Tenten. "This is all your fault! You tricked me and my daughter!!" Without much delay, the old widow and Daiyu chased Tenten out of their house. Poor Tenten fled to the forest in order to save herself. She fell down on a bush and began crying bitterly.

Just then, the King's son, Neji Hyuga happened to pass by. He found Tenten crying.

"What is the cause of your troubles?" he asked politely.

"My mother drove me out of my home," she wept. As she wept, pearls, diamonds, and lilies fell out of her mouth. The prince immediately fell in love with her.

"Tell me more," he said. Then, Tenten narrated the entire story of what had happened.

"Diamonds may fall from your mouth, but you are the biggest diamond of them all," Prince Neji said.

As for Daiyu, she made herself so much hated that her own mother turn her away. And the miserable wretch, having wandered about a good while without finding anybody to take her in, went to a corner of the woods and died.

The prince took Tenten to the palace and introduced her to the king. The king soon realized that Tenten was a remarkable girl. He gave his consent for their marriage. Tenten and Prince Neji Hyuga lived happily ever after.