The Swan Princess

Once upon a time, in a large and mighty kingdom of Hyrule, Princess Zelda was born. Kings and queens from all around came to offer gifts to the newborn princess. Queen Nayru brought her young son, Prince Link. And as Link gave Zelda his gift - a pretty locket - their parents had a wonderful idea. Zelda's father, King Roham, and Link's mother, Queen Nayru, would bring the children together every summer. Maybe...just maybe...the two would fall in love, marry and unite the two kingdoms.

But the evil enchanter Ganondorf had a different plan. He wanted King Roham's kingdom - all for himself. Back in his hideout, Ganondorf gazed into his magical fire. "The kingdom will belong to me and me alone," he vowed.

Ganondorf was soon banished from the kingdom for plotting against the king. But he remained determined. He would leave quietly with his assistant, an old ugly hag. But he would have his way - one day.

Years passed and Ganondorf was forgotten. And each summer, Princess Zelda and Prince Link were brought together by their parents. At first, these visits didn't go as smoothly as the king and queen had wished. Neither child seemed to like the other and the two refused to play together. King Roham and Queen Nayru were ready to give up hope that the prince and princess would ever marry.

Then one fine summer day, Link took Zelda into his arms.

"Arrange the marriage!" he cried. "Zelda is so beautiful."

"Thank you," said Zelda. "But is beauty all that matters to you?"

"What else is there?" Link asked, confused. He couldn't put his true feelings into words. And Zelda was hurt. Didn't he care about her? The marriage was not to be.

Feeling sad, King Roham and Zelda rode off into the forest. They were deep inside the woods when a figure appeared before them. It was Ganondorf! At first, he seemed to be an ordinary man. But then, there was a burst of light and Ganondorf was transformed into a dark beast. The beast took flight, soaring high above the king and princess. An instant later, down he swooped - straight toward Zelda!

News of the attack spread through the kingdoms. Zelda was gone! She had disappeared without a trace! And all because of a fearsome dark beast. A beast that was not what it seemed.

"My poor Zelda," Link said softly. "What has happened to you?"

Link cried out in fear and loss. "Zelda!!" His voice broke the stillness of the woods, carrying deep into the darkness until it finally reached Swan Lake. By then, it was just a whisper.

A sad-looking swan swimming on Swan Lake heard a rustling noise and lifted her head. Was someone calling her? No, it was only Ganondorf coming towards her.

"See here, Zelda," Ganondorf told the swan. "You are under a spell. But it doesn't last the whole day. You will change back to human form as soon as the moon comes up..."

Just then, a beam of moonlight touched the swan's wing. Suddenly, Zelda was no longer a swan. She was a beautiful princess once again, standing ankle-deep in the water.

"The spell will be broken if you marry me," Ganondorf explained. "That way I will become king. Or there is one other way. You can find someone who will declare everlasting love and prove it to the world." Ganondorf gave a nasty laugh. "But that seems unlikely since you can't leave Swan Lake for long. You will turn back into a swan when the moonlight leaves...no matter where you are."

Zelda did not run away. There was nowhere she could go. Instead, she made friends with Yunobo and Sidon, a goron and a zora who lived on the lake. Days and nights came and went, each one the same as before. But then, Zelda met a tough-talking rito named Kass. And together, she and Kass formed a plan to break the spell.