The Booted Cat

Once upon a time, in a kingdom not so far away from home, there lived a poor miller who had three sons. One day, the miller passed away due to old age, leaving his most prized possessions to his three sons. The oldest son was given the mill, the middle son was given the mule, and the youngest of the three, a young man named Shikamaru Nara, was given his father's cat. She was a little white cat named Haruhi and she was very clever as well as mischievous.

After his father's burial, Shikamaru decided to leave the farm and go out into the world to start a new life on his own. He took the cat, Haruhi with him and to be honest, he was far less than pleased with his new pet. He thought that the cat would never help him get anywhere in life, but little did he know that he would be proven wrong.

As they made their way down the path, Haruhi tried to comfort her new owner by rubbing her face against his leg.

"Please don't look so disappointed, Master," Haruhi said, touching the young man's shoulder with her paw. "I'll be sure to get you everything you'll ever want. You'll see."

"You? How can you get me everything I want?" Shikamaru asked. "You're just a cat."

"Master, trust me, please. True I am a cat, but I have a plan and it's a really good one too. Now, I'll need a few things."

"Like what?"

"Like a burlap sack, a scarf, and a pair of boots."

"Why? What do you need with those things for?"

"It's part of my plan. Do you seriously want to question it, Master? Do you want me to explain it to you? Before you know it, I'll start rambling and you don't want that, do you?"

Letting out an annoyed sigh in response, Shikamaru reluctantly gave the cat his scarf and his old boots as well as a sack and before he knew it, the cat had already run off into the forest. She laid the sack in the middle of the path with some carrots inside. She was using them as bait. Haruhi then hid in the bushes as she waited for any little creature to come around and take the bait. It took a few minutes, but finally, her patience was rewarded.

Two rabbits unknowingly hopped into the opening of the sack to take a little nibble of the carrots. And she pounced onto the sack, causing it to close and capture the rabbits. With the sack of rabbits in tow, Haruhi made her way to the castle to present her catch to Daimyo Inoichi Yamanaka, all according to plan. The Daimyo was reading a book to himself when the little cat came to call.

"Lord Daimyo, a cat is approaching and she wishes to speak with you," a clumsy messenger said as he barged into the throne room to tell his master the news.

"A cat? Speak with me?" The Daimyo asked, confused.

"Yes, and this cat wears boots, Your Excellency," the messenger said.

"Boots? Oh my. Then surely this must be a creature of substance. Bring this cat before me," the Daimyo ordered.

And soon, Haruhi appeared before the Daimyo with her sack. She bowed low before saying, "I am very humbled to be in your presence, My Lord."

"What is the meaning of this, young feline? Why have you requested an audience with me?" the man asked.

"Your Excellency, I've come on behalf of my master, the Koshaku. He has told me to present you with a gift," Haruhi said as she gave the sack to the Daimyo.

The Daimyo opened the sack to see the two rabbits squirming around inside. He let out a cry of surprise and looked back at the white cat with wide eyes.

"Do you like it?" Haruhi asked.

"Oh yes, I do. Thank you very much. Tell this Koshaku that I accept his gift and also tell him that I say thank you," the Daimyo said.