The Princess and the Pauper

Long ago and far away, two lovely little girls were born. Alice Tsukagami grew up in a small village, toiling as a seamstress. Tifa Lockhart grew up in a big, beautiful palace, learning her royal duties as a princess. They led very different lives, but they looked the same - except for their hair color.

One day, Queen Thea Lockhart discovered that the royal crystal mines were empty. She wanted her daughter, Tifa, to marry the rich King Yugo Ogami so that there would be enough money to take care of all the people in the kingdom. Princess Tifa, however, was in love with her tutor, Cloud Strife.

"I wish I were free to do what I want," Princess Tifa said as she and Cloud walked through the village.

Suddenly, they heard beautiful singing. It was Alice. The Princess saw Alice and thought she was looking in a mirror!

"You look just like me," Princess Tifa told Alice. "Except for our hair color and this crown-shaped birthmark on my shoulder, we could be twins."

The two girls quickly became friends. The Princess learned that Alice had to pay off her family's debts and worked at Madame Scarlet's dress shop. Before saying goodbye, Tifa promised to have Alice sing at the palace one day.

Meanwhile, no one knew that the royal advisor, Rufus Shinra, had stolen the Queen's crystals. He was now rich, and he wanted the Princess to marry him to save the kingdom. More than anything, he wanted to be king. When Rufus learned that the Princess was going to marry King Yugo, he was furious! He had the Princess kidnapped and taken to an abandoned royal cabin. He then told Queen Thea that Princess Tifa had run away. Rufus hoped that King Yugo would call off the wedding. And the Queen would be so grateful when Rufus later returned the Princess that she would let him marry her daughter.

Cloud didn't believe Rufus's story. He went to Madame Scarlet's dress shop and asked Alice to help him.

"Me? What can I do?" Alice asked.

"Pretend to be Princess Tifa while I find out what's going on," said Cloud.

"Who would ever believe I'm a princess?" asked Alice.

"Leave that to me," Cloud said, smiling.

So with a black wig and some coaching, Alice learned how to walk, act, and dress like the Princess.

Cloud went back to the palace and announced that the Princess had returned. When King Yugo was introduced to Alice, he fell in love with her beautiful voice and sweet nature. Alice fell in love with the King because he was gentle and kind.

"There's something about you," King Yugo said. "You're honest and down-to-earth. You don't act like a princess."

Alice wished she could tell the King the truth, but first, Cloud had to find the real Princess.

At the royal cabin, Princess Tifa planned her escape. Covering her cat, Kairi, with a white sheet, the Princess called to her kidnappers. "Help! A ghost!"

When Rufus's men rushed to open the door, Kairi dropped the sheet over them. The Princess and Kairi then fled to the palace.

Everyone at the palace believed that Alice was the Princess. Even Rufus. He raced to the cabin to see what had happened to Princess Tifa. Cloud secretly followed him. Rufus was furious when he discovered that Tifa was gone.

"Where is the Princess, Rufus?" Cloud demanded. "What have you done with her?"

"You're the tutor. You should have all the answers," Rufus replied as his men captured Cloud.

Princess Tifa made her way back to the palace gates. But seeing her stained and dirty clothes, no one believed she was the Princess. The guards wouldn't let her in! With nowhere else to turn, Tifa went to Madame Scarlet's dress shop to see if Alice could help her.