Chapter 3 - The McKennedy Kid

"Dr. Webber, please don't tell Dr. Grey. Or anyone in fact." said Hayes to Richard with a bit of a panic.

"Why would I tell anyone? Especially Meredith. I mean it's not my secret to tell. You should be the one to tell her." replied Richard.

"Well I thought you might tell people because you used to be chief here and you hired basically everyone including the current chief. And well I hate to bring this up but I thought you'd tell Mer- Dr. Grey because your past relationship with her mother. You've known her since she was basically Ellis' age and... and well I'm just waiting for the right time to tell her." said Hayes.

"Well don't wait too long" Richard said before he walked away.

Hayes continues on with his day trying to forget that people who work with him and Meredith know about his little crush.

"Dr Hayes! The McKennedy kid from the trauma about 15 minutes ago is getting ready for surgery." "Might want to finish those charts later." said Link and Owen.

They all scrubbed into surgery and did their part.

in the OR....

The surgery on McKennedy between Dr. Hayes, Dr. Lincoln, and Dr. Hunt, seems to be going well. Until, the kid goes into cardiac arrest. They don't know why this is happening so they page both Dr. Maggie Pierce and Dr. Winston Ndugu. Only Winston came because Maggie was already in an open heart surgery. The kid had coronary artery bypass and no one knew. Not even the family. Due to this, the kid had a heart attack and sadly passed away on the table.

"He was just a kid." said Winston.

"Well that's what we get for choosing to become surgeons." replied Hayes.

"Well we didn't choose to go into peds like you. Not gonna lie, I didn't even think it was possible for a kid that young to have a heart attack." said Link.

Meredith walked up because she heard that they just lost a kid.
"Hey, I just heard. I'm sorry." she said as her eyes started to water "We watch people die everyday but when it's kids..." said Meredith while sobbing.

Hayes hugged her gently and said nothing while she cried for a little bit. Then she had to scrub into one of her own surgeries so she left.

"Wow. That kids death hit her hard for some reason..." said Winston.

"Oh my god. You like her. Like... like like her." said Link.

"What? Who? Dr. Grey? Noo! We're just friends." replied Hayes.

Winston, Owen, and Link all stared at each other, all a bit shocked.

"Well good luck. She's a tough one. Take this from someone she rejected." said Link.