Chapter 4 - Up In Flames

Meredith was at home spending time with her kids. Having a good time. She had to get groceries because it was Amelia's week last week and Maggie's the week before. She waited for either Amelia, Maggie, or Winston to arrive home so they can watch the kids.

The door opens

"Hey, how was work?" Meredith yells as she's washing the dishes in the kitchen.

"Well y'know, the usual." replied Amelia.

Meredith walked out of the kitchen to the living room where Amelia was already laying down on the couch.

"Amelia, stop being lazy. You have to watch the kids because I'm going to get groceries. So get your ass off the couch!" said Meredith.

Amelia gets up and goes upstairs to see if any of the kids need help with their homework.

As Meredith exits the door she yells, "Oh and Scout is sleeping!"

"Yeah I figured..." replied Amelia.

     "It's been 50 minutes. How long does it take to get groceries..." thought Amelia.

At this moment, Maggie was already home and Winston would soon be there.

They turn on the news to see if they might be needed back at the hospital because Amelia has this feeling that something bad was happening.

"See everything's fin-" said Maggie before Amelia turned the volume up.

News Reporter: There was a fire at the Metropolitan Market Queen Anne grocery store. Many have been injured and 3 have been declared dead by paramedics.

"Oh my god... Meredith was out getting groceries... and... and she usually goes there..." said Amelia worriedly.

Maggie and Amelia trusted Zola and Bailey to take care of Ellis and Scout and left the house faster than they ever had.

"Where is she?!" asked Amelia while her voice trembled so much because she was ready to cry.
"WHERE IS SHE?!" she yells after she gets no response.

"We don't know." said Owen.
"Wait in the waiting room and as soon as we find her, we'll inform both of you." he finished.

They waited for about 20 minutes. Hayes came out looking happy but sad at the same time.

"Is she okay?" asked Maggie.

"Is she alive?" asked Amelia.

"She's alive... but... she's got some pretty bad burns."

"Wait why are you here? Aren't you a peds surgeon? Don't they work on children?" asked Amelia after she sighed in relief.

"Uhm, well, yeah. I just wanted you guys to feel okay." said Hayes.

"Oh..." said both Amelia and Maggie.

Hayes started to look very worried and like he was about to cry.

"Why do you look so worried? You said 'She's alive' that's good? Right?!" asked Amelia in a panic.

"Oh my god... do you like her?" asked Maggie.
She got no response.
"Oh my god! I- oh my god! I guessed correct!" she said with the biggest smile on her face almost forgetting about the fire.

"Don't tell her... please" Hayes said worriedly because his secret kept getting loose and he knows that Maggie and Amelia aren't the best at keeping secrets.

"Well who else knows?" asks Amelia.

"Well, the chief who probably told her husband, Dr. Webber, Dr. Hunt, Dr. Ndugu, Dr-" Hayes replied before Maggie cut him off.

"Winston!? He knew?! And he didn't tell me?! That's just so- oh I'm sorry. I cut you off. Uh continue" said Maggie.

"Uhm... Dr. Lincoln and I think thats-" he said before Amelia cut him off this time.

"Wait. Link knows? Wow. You think you have a kid with someone and they tell you stuff." Amelia said. She sounded a bit pissed.

"Well at least we get to talk about it to people. We won't tell anyone new. You should be the one to tell her." said Maggie.

"Well if she even lives for you to tell her." said Amelia.