Chapter 8 - Wake Up

"Hayes. Hayes, wake up."

...
3 hours earlier
...

Hayes sits there for a while beside the supermarket. Thinking what would've happened if the dog never barked. He finally got up after everything went dark because the store closed and the lights were now off signalling that it was now 11pm. Hayes got up and walked to his car and began to drive off.

He is listening to some music and driving peacefully. As he is about to turn onto his street, a car comes out of nowhere and hits his.

'911 what's your emergency?' he faintly hears as the person's phone was on speaker.

"I- I accidentally hit someone's car and... they- they look very injured. There's- there's his blood all around him." Hayes can hear a woman say.

'Ma'am is the man awake? And are you hurt?'

"No... no. I'm fine... I think. And the man... he's... he's awake... but barely." Hayes can barely hear her say but he can hear in her voice that she is a younger woman and that she is absolutely terrified.

He heard sirens approach then he passed out.

...

"44 year old male, whiplash to the neck, window glass in his left chest, and wound on his head." the paramedic says to Owen as they unload Hayes from the ambulance.

"Oh my god. What happened?" Owen asked.

"Car accident"

"Was anyone else hurt or in the car with him?" Owen asked thinking that he was in the same car as Meredith.

"The driver that hit him is in the ambulance right behind us but seems to be fine and no, there was no one else in the car." the paramedic replies as the resident and interns bring Hayes inside, Owen following them right after.

"Page neuro, cardio and Dr. Grey right now" Owen says to his resident.

"But Dr. Grey isn't on call right now" he replies.

"I don't care." Owen says back.

...

Amelia and Maggie walked into the room both in complete shock.

"Woah what happened at dinner?" Amelia asked.

"A car crash happened. I think he might have a brain injury and this glass might have damaged his heart." Owen replies.

"Is Meredith okay?" Maggie asks thinking that he's going to say that she's hurt as well.
Maggie is asking this as she checks his chest wound and Amelia checks his head wound.

"She's fine. I think. She wasn't in the car with him." he replies.

"Oh... okay" Maggie replied in a bit of relief.

"Well he seems stabilized for now so we should take him up to ct." Amelia said.

...

"He has a brain bleed. We need to take him up to the OR now. I can operate on his brain while you and Maggie operate on his chest." Amelia says to Owen as Maggie wasn't in the room because she had another patient in post-op to check up on.

...
after surgery/ 1 hour before present time
...

Owen, Amelia, and Maggie exit the OR seeing Meredith pacing back and forth with tears in her eyes ready to fall. They all assumed that someone else told her what happened.

"Is he stable? Alive? Dead? What?" she says trying to read their faces, Maggie's in particular.

"He's stable, for now." Owen replied.

"How did this happen? Weren't you guys together?" Maggie asked.

"Yes- well, we were. Then I left him and went home. He didn't seem like he was going to move soon when I left him. But that was the last time I saw him." Meredith replied.

...
present time
...

Hayes is in post-op and nothing has changed in the last hour. He's stable yet not waking up. Amelia keeps checking his pupils and they're equal and reactive which means he isn't brain dead so he can wake up.

Meredith is finally the only one in his room. She grabs his hand and says, "Hayes. Hayes, wake up. Please wake up. I... I love you." as tears run down her face.

...

(Oh also I just wanted to say that I don't actually know Hayes' age and I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet so I just used Meredith's age... well according to the internet)