4. Looking for clues and dropping hints

The same day a few hours later. Sherlock answers a call from the autopsy team, so they go together to the place. It's a grey building with milky windows, so you can't see inside or know what is inside. The woman at the entrance leads them down the hallway to a room at the end. There's the man, now less bloody but still very much dead on the lie.

"Ah, good. Your information was quite helpful, but we were able to find out a little bit more." The man bowing over the corpse looks up, it's a middle aged man with tired eyes scanning Will from head to toe.

"This is your new partner? What happened to Watson-?"

"He is with his wife on their honeymoon, but yes for now he is.'' He interrupts him before he could finish his sentence properly.

Should he also introduce himself? His train of thoughts gets cut off, as both men take a closer look at the corpse.

"He has been strangled and we have two suspected weapons. It must have been a really long knife, or something even bigger. Like a sword. But nobody just can swing around a sword in these times." The Doctor points out the marks on the hands.

"He was tied up and forced to defend himself multiple times, but the cuts tell me it was a different weapon at play. Something like a kitchen knife - small."

They get led around towards the head. The team managed to keep it all together, but the sight is still creepy and Will feels a shudder running down his spine. Nobody deserves to be cut apart for whatever reason.

"Over there on the tray you can find the papers we found in the bag, we identified him as Mister Gardenshire working at the University he has been killed at."

On the tray are a few paper snippets, keys, a wallet and a crumpled note.

"Can I take a closer look?"

"Yeah, but be careful and put on the gloves!" He does as told and inspects the snippets. One of them is a voucher for a laundry, the other a shopping list. The crumpled note is where the mystery is at.

                                               Meet me at 3:30 in room 13-4. Got a favour to ask.

"Hmm, he got invited to meet up to die?" Sherlock leans very close over his shoulder, which makes Will a little bit nervous inside.

"Can we just let the note be looked at? Somebody can probably find out who the handwriting belongs to." Sherlock takes the note and looks at it closer. It's just a simple paper note ripped out of any notebook.

"Already done, but it takes time. So far no hits."

"This is curious, but what about the other stuff?" Will lifts the keys. "Where does he live? Can we take a look at his place?"

Sherlock shrugs with his shoulders. "I'll ask Lestrade. You wait here." without even listening to what else he might have to say.

He leaves to make the call, and Will feels the tension fall off him. Damn, he was just too close to him for his comfort.

"As for the person who attacked him, I figured it must be someone who is stronger than just your average person. Nobody can just...add wounds of this size."

"Yep, but so far we have nothing but a few numbers and speculation. You gotta go with Sherlock and make sure he doesn't do something stupid." tells the Doctor him.

"Will do. Thanks for your help."

On the floor Sherlock just finished his phone call.

"We have been allowed to go to his place, let's go!"