39 - Dougal MacKenzie

Letitia stayed with me throughout the whole of that day, always there to watch over wee Jamie whilst I slept off the drains of labour. When I woke up around midday, she taught me how to feed the baby and how to wind him. When he had slipped off into a sleep once again, I asked her to hand me some paper and a pen and ink. She did, placing a piece of board on my lap so I could write from my bed.

Friday 1st February 1743

Dearest Jenny and Ian,

In the early hours of this morning, your nephew was born. James Brian Thomas MacCraig Fraser is a braw little bairn with a head of bright red fur like his father. He slept right through to midday and I've only just had to feed him. He's gone off again now.

Jamie'll be wanting him baptised forthwith, but I'd like to wait until he is home first.

There was a knock at the door. Letitia got up to see who it was and greeted whoever it was happily. She turned back to me, "tis Himself and Dougal. Would ye allow them in for a few moments?"
I nodded, putting the pen and ink pot aside before folding the paper and reminding myself to have it sent with the post later that evening.

Colum lumbered into my room, followed by his brother.

They both smiled at me and asked if I was well. I told them that I was, and then Letitia came over with wee Jamie in her arms. I hadn't even had to ask her for him - she had just known.

I held him, tickling his feet until he stirred awake, which took several minutes.

His eyes were a bonnie blue just like Jamie's eyes - like the ribbon that he had given to me when he had left for the first time to Beannachd so many years before.

"James Brian Thomas MacCraig Fraser." I told them, "doesna he look like his da?"

"Aye, he's got the look of the MacKenzie about him - look at that hair." Dougal smiled at the baby.

"He'll be a strong lad and a good fighter, no doubt about it." Colum sat on the edge of my bed and reached forward, putting one of his fingers in wee Jamie's palm. Wee Jamie grasped it and didn't let go. Colum smiled. "I'll leave ye be now... many congratulations to ye, and to Jamie."

Colum left and Letitia followed, though she left the door open behind them. Dougal remained.

He looked about the room and crossed his arms against his chest, "there's news of the lad's father."

"Jamie?" I exclaimed in surprise and delight, startling poor wee Jamie. He whined but didn't cry, which I was quite grateful for. "What of him?"

"He's on his way to France." Dougal paused, "was with some broken men - the kind without clans, ye ken?" I nodded, I knew what broken men were, "he took an axe to the head -"

"Oh, my Jamie!" I felt my eyes begin to brim with tears.

"So I've sent my men to take him to his Uncle Alexander at the Abbey of Ste. Anne de Beaupre. The abbots there will be able to help him."

Dougal's tone was quite odd. It was if he was only half sure that Jamie would recover.

He coughed, clearing his throat before he continued, "after that, I've left orders for that oaf, Murtagh Fitzgibbons -"
"He's Jamie's godfather," I frowned, "not an oaf."

Dougal sighed, but did not take back what he had said of Murtagh, "aye, well I've left orders with him to bring the lad back to Edinburgh. My men and I will meet them somewhere around there and then will ride back with them... to you, and to the bairn." Dougal looked at the babe in my arms as if he wanted to hold him. I didn't offer, but I wasn't sure why. There was something so solid about Dougal; so large and so intimidating that I wasn't sure if I wanted to give him the responsibility of holding the most precious thing to me, "he'll be home soon, I expect."

If he recovers.

The words hung between us as loudly as if they had been said.

After a few seconds, I shifted wee Jamie in my arms and said, "I thank ye, Dougal." I gave him a smile. He returned it. "Ye'll tell me when ye hear from them again?"

Dougal nodded, "aye, lass, before I tell Himself even." He turned and left the room without another word.