44 - Mrs Fraser (Again)

God knows how he had done it, but Jamie had somehow managed to convince Father Bain to not only marry us after the service, but also to baptise wee Jamie. When I had woken the day before, Jamie had been gone, and an enquiry into his whereabouts to Murtagh had revealed that he had ridden for Lallybroch to ask Jenny and Ian to attend the ceremonies.

Jamie and I held hands, staring intently into each other's eyes, pure love in both of our hearts as we said the words that we had always wanted to.

"I will."
And just like that, we were man and wife. For real. Done properly.

Jamie kissed me and kissed my weeping wound from the blood ceremony. I'd then turned to Letitia and taken wee Jamie from her. Father Bain asked who we wanted as wee Jamie's godparents and my husband Jamie spoke, "my sister Jenny and her husband, Ian Murray. My uncle, Colum, laird of the clan MacKenzie and his wife, Letitia."

The four of them - none of whom we had asked to be wee Jamie's godparents before we had called upon them - looked shocked to say the least, but they all rose and went to stand by the font. I gave wee Jamie to Colum as it was custom for the godparents to hold the baby whilst it was baptised.

For September, it was uncharacteristically wet, but nothing could dampen my day. I was officially Mrs Fraser, and I had married the love of my life. Jamie was my husband, and we had the most beautiful son, my wee Jamie.

We had good friends; Letitia and Colum, and Claire. We had people who loved us and who we lived in return; Ian and Jenny and their baby, who was due in a few months.

All we had to do now was clear Jamie's name. How difficult could that be?