Old Times.

I stretch my limbs and roll onto my side, stretching out and groaning as my muscles got much needed relief. The sun peers through slots in the blinds, and I glower. I hate blinds now, I had wanted a dark tint on the windows instead, but Dallas had called me a vampire. I kick my legs over the side of the bed, and I slipped on my prosthetic. I stand gently, and adjust my sleep shorts. I feel self conscious in shorts, but pants make me feel even worse with the fabric just flapping around below the knee when I move without my prosthetic.

Dallas lays on his own bed across the room. On his back, mouth wide open "catching flies" and his hair is a mess. He sleeps in his boxers, having tired of my throwing objects through his head when I would find him in the buff. He sits up as I slip past and tosses his pillow at me.

"Cut it out, asshole!" I laugh as I fling it back at him with force. He plops off the bed, clutching his chest as if I have killed him. Creature and Critter come rushing in to check the commotion and Creature licks his face.

"I'm good! I'm good! Stop Creech!" He gags as Creature's thick slobers roll down his cheek.

"Be careful." I tease.

"Why?"

"Do you not remember? He's a purebred shit eater. You should be worried."

"Ha ha! Adorable." Dallas jumps to his feet and grabs the hem of his boxers.

"I swear on all that is holy, if they drop you will need a 'prosthetic'."

"You take the fun out of everything!" Like I did our marriage, I suppose.

"Ugh. Turd. Just turn around."

"What?"

"Turn around!" He smirks, and I instantly see where he's going. "Turn around, bright eyes!" In my best, sarcastic singing voice.

"Every now and then I fall apart!" We laugh and I dismiss myself, snatching up some fresh clothes and heading into the restroom. I bolt the door, and double check the blinds before I ever step out of my clothes. I'm at least tinting this window!

It was my only complaint about this house when Dallas had asked me to move here. I detest windows in a bathroom! I've said it before, I'll say it again. Why would anybody need a window in the bathroom? There is nothing out there I'd like to see while doing my business, and nothing out there that needs to see me. I can barely afford my own therapy, let alone that of any unfortunate soul that happens to witness the horror of my nudity.

Otherwise, the house is wonderful. It is basic, and cozy. Full of space and natural light. Affordable. Now that I have finally managed to sell some of my artwork under an alias, I can easily pay my part of the expenses here and provide for myself comfortably. It has helped my mental state tremendously to be able to provide for myself once more. Funny how our minds and self esteem can be so fragile.

I refuse to admit, but Dallas's proximity has also helped me. I don't feel so alone, and even though we are not a thing romantically, it is soothing to have someone to depend on. It reminds me a bit of old times, when we weren't just lovers but best friends. In our early years, we were practically conjoined at the hip. You never seen us apart, and we had our own language. Through random words, and body language we could tell entire stories nobody else could figure out. We could also read one another so well, and even play off each other.

I often fantasize that we are back in our honeymoon years, that none of this ever happened and we just came into a new home. Then memories of his past drunken fits, his attacking Creature, and of all that happened with Sam and Kellan flood my mind. It's those memories that keep my walls high and my heart hard in moments where I want to badly to rekindle what we once had.