Split Decisions.

*back to Alina, no offense but you aren't as fun Kellan. 🤣💚

The trek into the woods to set the fire is tough. Now that I've had a moment to eat, and rest, my body just wants more rest. And I cannot afford it, no matter how hard my muscles cry. I'm not just risking myself if I falter, but Riley too. She could easily be harmed for aiding me or even being caught with me without filling the others in. It could expose her. As it stands, she is my chance. She's my opportunity to get help or escape.

I'm terrified, but mentally I have accepted that I cannot do this on my own at this point. Even though I have the crutch and prosthetic, I still am in dire need of medical attention. Riley is my shot, and I must guard her with everything in me. And when the time comes I will make a way for her. I'll distract them, and I'll make her go.

I've escaped death so many times now, and if I must go I'm not taking her too. She has to live, she has to tell them who these people are. To tell them about the old woman they murdered, the woman in the backyard, the names of these people or their online aliases. She'll have to tell them what happens to me.

"Riley." I whisper. She turns to me.

"I'm going to need you to do something important for me. You have to promise."

"I'll do anything I can." She waits for me to continue.

"I-I need you to live, Riley. I'm slowing you down. They could turn on you if you are caught aiding me. We are into the woods far enough now that you can follow the road and be unseen from here..."

"I can't leave you. You don't know what might happen if they catch you. Even if I make it out, what happens if help comes too late?"

"I have this crutch as a weapon. I have the lighter. I'll light the fire to give you a clearer shot, and you go."

"Don't...don't make me leave you. I'm scared too. Scared put of my freaking mind. The woods freak me out."

"You got on the web, met up with freaks alone in an attempt to rescue and ex sister in law you have never even met. I think you aren't as afraid as you think. I think that's pretty brave. Someone has to get help, someone also needs to be by Dallas incase he wakes up or..." She gulps.

"I-I know..." She blinks rapidly and looks up to the sky. "But if you don't make it, how am I supposed to look him in the eye. How am I going to live with myself."

"He won't hold it against you. He can't. It's out of your control. Dallas, sober Dallas, is understanding. He would know you tried and be just as proud of you. As for living with yourself...that part just sort of happens. Some days are worse, and other days not so much as long as you don't think about it. In my case, I caused those deaths. If I die before help arrives, you didn't cause it. You are not and would be responsible."

"You...you are..." She blots at her eyes with a hand and rears back as of delivering an imaginary slap. "An asshole. A stubborn asshole. You just better not die, OK? We've never got to do real sister in law things together. You owe me. You owe me cheesy movie dates and shopping trips." She tries to smile playfully, and I force a smile back at her. I don't really want her to leave. But I can't stand the thought of taking her down with me if this ends the way I fear.

"You get out of here. Be safe. Find help. And when this is over, I'll watch the most ridiculous movie you can find. I don't mind if it's sharknado 47. I'll be there with contraband snacks I'm my purse." She gulps.

"When...when you go do not slow down and pay no mind to what you hear. I might show my ass a bit, you know, to draw them closer to me..."

"I-I'm holding you to that movie deal. I'm going to see you soon." She gives me a long, hesitant hug and she walks away to start her new voyage.