Chapter 3

During the night, Lyra didn't sleep very much as she was afraid the golden monkey or Mrs. Coulter would come back to hurt her again. Finally morning came around and Lyra had just gotten to sleep. Pan was extra clingy to Lyra and every sound and movement that happened outside the door they both jumped.

It was around 11am when Lyra finally came out of her room. To her surprise there was no Mrs. Coulter. Both child and dæmon walk to the kitchen to get something to eat as Lyra was very hungry. Lyra pulls up a chair and sits at the bench and just stares at the cook to see what he is making.

"Oh miss Lyra, I didn't hear you come in. Here is some toast and a cup of tea. Mrs. Coulter requested we give you chamomile to help calm you down"

Lyra just smiles and eats and her toast. Not wanting to drink the tea, Lyra pretends to drink it and walks to the sink and tips it out and puts her plate and cup in the sink.

"Thank you cook, it was very nice. I'll be off now"

"Wait miss, Mrs. Coulter left this for you"

Lyra grabs the piece of paper and walks back to her room while reading it.

Lyra,
When you've had breakfast and gotten ready for the day, can you please meet me in my study..... we need to have a chat.

Mrs. Coulter

"I wonder what she wants to chat about, I hope she's going to let us go. I don't know how much longer I can take playing prisoner this time round"

Lyra took her time getting ready, she had to have a bath since she didn't have one the night before. Once she was finally ready she slowly made her way down to Mrs. Coulters study. Lyra knocks and steps back.

"Mrs. Coulter?"

A few seconds pass and she could hear draws slamming and the golden monkey screeching. Lyra was ready to walk back to her room when the door opened.

"Come in Lyra"

Mrs. Coulter points to the single chair on her right for Lyra to sit and she sat on the left.

"Now. The reason I asked to speak to you was I need you to keep quiet about what you know about me and what I do for work. If you can do that, there will be no confrontation. Is that clear?"

Lyra just sitting there stunned and not sure what to actually say about all that.

"So why do I have to be held here? Why don't you just let me go..... I can go back to Jordan and I promise to keep your secret"

Mrs. Coulter lets out a big laugh.

"Lyra there are some things you will learn as you grow. You see, since you've been gone from Jordan for so long, Jordan and the master have forgotten you and moved on. The only place you properly belong is with me"

Hearing that, Lyra stood up trying to hold back her anger.

"You're lying"

"Interesting. How dare you accuse me of lying"

"The master would never forget me, I don't believe you"

Lyra fighting back tears and anger, she runs to the study door. As she was going to open it, Mrs. Coulter grabs Lyra by the wrist.

"I haven't finished talking, sit back down please"

Lyra obeying as she could see the golden monkey was eyeing off Pan and ready to pounce when his human gives the order.

"Lyra........ at the cocktail party did anyone else talk to you besides the reporter?"

Lyra thinking back to a day she wished she could forget.