Chapter 4

***Thirteen years ago***

"Cmon Mrs. Coulter you can do it, that's it........... push"

After being n labour fo so long, Marisa Coulter finally had her little baby in her arms. Looking down she could see so much of Asriel and only a little of her. She was so madly in love with Asriel she didn't care. Asriel came in to finally meet his child, he couldn't help but smile and kiss his lover.

"I want to name her Lyra, Asriel"

"It's perfect darling"

Stelmaria and the golden monkey walk in to check out the baby and the tiny dæmon.

"The child's dæmon is to be called Pantalaimon"

Hours pass and both parents are in awe of their child who was perfect in every way. Then something happened to Marisa, like something clicked.

"Asriel, you need to take her, I can't do this, this isn't what I wanted. You need to take her and go"

Asriel all confused as only moments ago she was doting on their child.

"What do you mean you can't do this Marisa? She is our child, our responsibility. You can't do this to our child Marisa"

Marisa places baby Lyra and Pan into Asriel's arms and rolls over.

"You better leave before Edward comes back. I'll tell him his son died and that the nurses took the body away as it made me distressed seeing it"

Asriel looks down at his tiny daughter and pulls her close to him.

"After today Marisa, you are to never come looking for us. If Lyra asks about you I'll say you died during child birth. She doesn't need someone like you in her life, where she'll get close and you'll walk away leaving her heart broken. Goodbye Marisa"

Marisa rolls over and starts crying. The one thing in this world Maria truly wanted was her daughter, but she knew she couldn't keep her as Edward would eventually figure out she isn't his. Marisa tried to get up, she realised what she did was wrong and she wanted to keep Lyra and Asriel in her life but she was too weak to walk and just laid in bed screaming and crying. Moments later Edward comes home from his trip, he could hear his wife screaming and crying and he thought it was time so he ran to be by her side.

"Marisa......... what happened?"

When he walked in he saw Marisa and her dæmon on the floor.

"He's gone, I lost him"

Sorta pleased but sad Marisa played her husband.

"The nurses took him away as I couldn't take seeing him. Our son died Edward"

"Oh........ well I'll leave you be then"

Months past and word got out about a child that was placed in a nunnery. Marisa looked into it and was hoping it would be her dear Lyra. Edward died at the hands of Asriel, and Asriel lost everything because of that. Marisa would hire people to go to the nunnery to spy and see what they could find out. She was slowly coming back into the world she use to be in before Lyra and Asriel. She joined the church and ranked up rather quickly and she was the first and only woman in the Magisterium.

Weeks past and word got back to Marisa that the child was in fact Asriel's. She was about to make a move with taking Lyra away from the nunnery, till the great flood happened and the nunnery collapsed. Once the flood waters ceded, Marisa had people look to see if they could find the baby that was living there. No body was found, Marisa was relieved. Then word got out that Asriel found the child and took her to Jordan college and declared "scholastic sanctuary" so Marisa investigated the master herself.

"Ma'am she is protected at the college, there's no way you'll be able to get that child now"

"Damn you Asriel, why do you have to make this so hard for me"

Not wanting to give up, Marisa continues her search for Lyra.

Years passed and several attempts to see the master, Marisa was still nowhere near her only child. Finally one day the master decided to allow Marisa to enter the college but she was to see the master and that's it. Marisa took it as she knew it was a very high chance she'll see Lyra.

The day of the visit, Marisa wore her nicest outfit and made sure she looked very nice so she could win the master over with letting her take Lyra.

"Master, so nice to see you"

"I know why you are here Mrs. Coulter and I will not let you see the child. I have made sure she is busy during your visit, as Asriel instructed. Now what do you want?"

"Do you really think you'll keep me away from my own child? I'll get her one way or another, she's eight years old she'll be asking for me or about me"

Mrs. Coulter got up in a huff and walked out off the masters office. While walking through the field to get to her zeppelin, she heard a squeal and a woman yelling. Not taking much noticed Mrs. Coulter kept walking.

"Lyra get back here, it's time for your lessons"

"Lyra?"

Mrs. Coulter turned to see if she could see Lyra as that's all she wanted. Next thing this little girl came out of nowhere and ran right into Mrs. Coulter legs and pushed the poor woman right to the ground.

"I'm I'm im so sorry"

Mrs. Coulter gets up and dusts off grass and dirt from her skirt.

"No harm done darling. Are you ok? You were running very fast"

"Yea I was running away so I didn't have to go to my lessons. I don't like them, they are boring"

Mrs. Coulter let out a little giggle as she was exactly like that when she was about Lyra's age.

"Lessons can be boring, but school is very important"

Finally Mrs Lonsdale caught up to Lyra and just stared at Mrs. Coulter.

"Come Lyra, you are going to be late for your lessons"

"Bye miss"

Mrs. Coulter almost had her daughter if it wasn't for the horrible Mrs Lonsdale. On the flight back to London, all Mrs. Coulter could think off was Lyra and how much she reminded herself when she was that age. She still looked like Asriel but she was a mini Marisa Coulter In so many other ways.

From that day on it was Mrs. coulters mission to get custody of Lyra before the Magisterium find her.

                       ———————-

Marisa snaps back to the present and remembers that her and Lyra were out on the terrace. The overwhelming feeling of guilt was building up inside Mrs. Coulter and she just couldn't take it anymore.

"Lyra, we need to have a chat"

Lyra comes out of her daydream and looks straight at Mrs. Coulter.

Lyra whispers to herself.
"Oh gosh this doesn't sound good"

Lyra got up from her chair and sat right next to Mrs. Coulter.

"Am I in trouble? As I haven't done anything wrong..... I've been good"

Mrs. Coulter just smiled and cupped Lyra's face.

"No dear. Remember when you asked me who your mother was and I said it could be anyone. Well I need to talk to you about your mother" 

Lyra had a shocked look go over her face.

"But you said you didn't know who she was, you said Asriel always had a woman around his arms so it could be anyone"

"I think you deserve to know the truth Lyra, but I don't think you're going to like the answer"