Chapter 9

Marisa never left her daughters side since saving her from the separation machine. Lyra was too scared to be on her own, there were times that Lyra couldn't leave Marisa's private room without her mother holding her hand.

"When can we go home?"

"Soon darling, I'm just waiting for the zeppelin to arrive, then we'll go home"

Lyra was glued to her mother and Marisa didn't mind it one bit but there were a couple of times where she'd believed Lyra was fine on her own. Word got out that there was a stranger heading towards the building while Lyra and Marisa were heading to the landing strip. Everyone was on edge except Marisa as she saw a snow leopard and knew exactly who it was.

"Asriel"

As soon as his name left her lips he appeared out of the shadows smiling till he saw his daughter around his ex lover.

"What is she doing here? What are you doing here Lyra? I left you at Jordan where you were safe. What are you doing with her? She's the reason this place is happening"

Lyra just staring at Asriel. The last time she saw him he was her uncle and now he's her father.

"I......I......I....... was taken here by the Magisterium. Mrs. Coul.... mother saved me"

"Is this true Marisa?"

"Yes Asriel. I was the one who took her from Jordan college, I looked after her. I took responsibility for my daughter. I flew all this way to save her from being cut. It's my fault she's here, I should off fought for her in the beginning but I didn't"

Asriel was shocked as this wasn't the Marisa he knew thirteen years ago when Lyra was born. Without any warning Asriel turns around and walks away just like that.

Marisa and Lyra board the zeppelin and wait for take off. Lyra clung to her mother the whole time and didn't ease till they were fully in the air and away from Bolvanger.

"You look really tired Lyra. Lay down and rest and I'll watch over you. I'll protect you from now on"

Lyra hasn't slept in two days while they were stuck in Bolvanger. Finally feeling sorta safe she places her head on her mothers lap and goes to sleep. Lyra wasn't asleep long, she woke up screaming and went searching for Pan who was asleep on the golden monkey. Lyra had this nightmare back at Bolvanger, but that nightmare was real. Lyra doesn't feel the same after that night, she feels different like her soul was cut away but she still has Pan.

Marisa picks up on Lyra's anxiety and try's to calm her down.

"Don't worry darling me and your father will seek revenge for what the Magisterium did to you. You have my word on that"

Lyra was still scared to go to sleep so she just leaned against her mother and just stared out the window.

A few days later they finally get back to London where Marisa thought everything would finally be normal again. Lyra wouldn't sleep in her own bed, still didn't like to be alone and would freak out when she heard noises around the flat. Worried about her only child, Marisa rang to have a doctor come to the flat to see if they can detect any trauma.

The doctor made a special visit to see Lyra. He was the best children's doctor in London. He examined Lyra and noticed she had a traumatic experience in the last week or so, with the way she was flinching around the doctor.

"It looks like your daughter has PTSD from that accident you told me about. It will take some time for her to recover but it will never go away. Just be there to comfort her and make sure she takes these pills, they'll help keep her anxiety down"

"Thank you doctor. I'll show you out"

Lyra didn't like feeling like this and hated that she had to rely on her mother for everything, but what happened at Bolvanger changed Lyra in so many ways.

Marisa walks back into the lounge room to see Lyra sitting up on the couch. Lyra was looking down at Pan who was in the form of a cat.

"What do you feel like doing today my love? We can't sit in here all day, we gotta get out, get you out of this slump you got yourself in"

Lyra just looks up at her mother and back down to Pan.

"Well when you're ready and want to do something, you come let me know. I'll be in my study"

As Marisa was walking away to walk to her study she felt something grab her hand. When she turned back she saw it was Lyra.

"It's ok to be on your own Lyra, I'm not leaving the flat. Go read a book or do a puzzle"

Lyra knew she was being unusually clingy but she couldn't work out why. Before Bolvanger she would off given her right arm to be rid of her mother, but now it's like Marisa is her life support and she can't understand why.

"Mother"

"Yes Lyra"

"Why does it feel like Pan has been cut away from me, yet I know he's still here. It feels like I'm missing something but I know I'm not"

"I don't know Lyra, but I'll make sure the people at the station will be held acountable for their actions when they put you in that machine"

Lyra let go off her mothers hand and sat back down on the couch and laid down. Marisa took the opportunity to go to her study and write a letter to the Magisterium demanding something be done.

A knock on the study door startled Marisa as she thought it would be Lyra. When the door opened it was a servant with a letter. She didn't say who it was from but just left it on the table.

Marisa opens the letter to find its from Asriel.

Marisa,

The Gyptians have informed me that you and Lyra made it back to London safe. I'm pleased to inform you that that place in Bolvanger has been burnt to the ground and I've made a point to hold the Magisterium accountable for their actions. The witches are on our side and will help when needed.

Asriel

Knowing this has happened, Marisa could breath easier knowing the station was destroyed. Yes all her hard work down the drain, but in a way she's relieved as deep down it was something she didn't want to get into. She only did it to try and get Lyra due to the master not allowing Marisa to visit Jordan. Now Marisa just has to deal with things on her end and hopefully bring the Magisterium down.

"I need to tell Lyra the good news. I hope this takes a bit of weight off her chest"

Marisa practically runs out off her study to get to Lyra in the lounge room but when she turned to walk in, Lyra wasn't there.

"Lyra?"

"Lyra?"

"Where are you Lyra?"

The golden monkey noticed Pan just laying on a pillow on the long couch. Marisa searches the whole room, no sign of Lyra. Starting to panic Marisa starts searching the whole flat.

"No, Lyra not again. Please no"

The last room Marisa checked was her room and there Lyra was sound asleep hugging the same picture she took on her trip to Bolvanger to save Lyra.

"Lyra, you can seperate from your dæmon. But how?"