Safe at last

Three months have passed since both Lyra, Marisa and their daemons arrived in Geneva. In those three months Lyra mainly stayed in her room since the Magisterium believed she should be seen and not heard at specific times and those times were all the time. Marisa noticed how sad Lyra was getting and she didn't like it.

"Pan, can you see if it's clear so I can run to the kitchen to get a drink"

Pan turns into a little brown moth. He flew as far as he could without pushing the boundary that humans have with their daemon.

"It's clear"

Lyra slowly opens her door to double check. As she walked through her doorway she heard a voice, a voice she knew oh to well.

"Should you be out of your room child?"

"I would really like to get a drink father MacPhail. I am really thirsty"
"It's cardinal now child and that is how you are to address me"

Lyra just rolls her eyes at the man and walks back into her room and shuts her door.

"What are we going to do Pan? It's really hot in here. I hope they leave soon so we can get out of this hot room"

It's almost dark and the Magisterium is still around. Usually in the afternoons it cools down but this day it stayed hot.

A knock on the door startled the girl and her daemon. Lyra walked slowly to her door to see who it is. As she went to take a second step, everything went black.

On the other side was the golden monkey with a glass of water for Lyra, he grew concerned when he heard a thud. He ran back to Marisa.

"Gentlemen, it's getting late, so I think it's time for you all to leave"

"Oh yes suppose we should" one man said

"Oh, dear I didn't realise it was that late" another said

Marisa could sense her daemon wanted to tell her something but had ignored it till she was alone.

"What do you want now?" she looked at him with both hands holding her head

"It's the girl, I think something is wrong"

Marisa ran to Lyra's room to find the door locked. She quickly ran back to her office to grab her keys then ran back to Lyra's room.

"Lyra.... Darling. Answer me. Are you ok?"

The girl didn't respond. Finally, Marisa found the right key, she flings open the door to find Lyra on the ground. The room was so hot, it felt like an oven. Of all days there was no breeze. Marisa attempts to wake her child, the daemon tries to do everything he could with Pan, sadly he stayed limp.

The golden monkey was ordered to grab wash cloths to attempt to cool Lyra down. Marisa covered Lyra head to foot in cool cloths to help bring her body temp down.

"NO, you can't leave me" tears start forming in Marisa's eyes "I only just got you back"

With Marisa's attempts at cooling her child down, it was clear what Marisa had to do. It wasn't fair to her or Lyra.

It was the weekly meeting for Marisa and the Magisterium. Lyra stayed home with one of the servants as she was still recovering from heatstroke. A car came to pick the woman up, but since it was a nice day, she decided to walk. Walking through town, Marisa was admiring all the old buildings then she saw possibly the biggest building in all of Geneva. Guards and their daemons on all corners on the outside and would be the same on the inside.

Marisa had to make the biggest decision today. She stood Infront of Cardinal MacPhail and several other Magisterium men.

"Gentleman, as you can see, I am not needed here anymore. I have met all your demands with my research and with that Lyra and I will leave on the next zeppelin back to London"