Chapter 8

Marisa finally makes it to the Magisterium building to be greeted by guards who told her to "go away" Ignoring their threats she demanded that Father Timothy or Father MacPhail come out to face her. Father Timothy eventually came out and greeted Marisa with a smile.

"I'm sorry but you're too late. The child isn't here with us anymore. She's going to a better place to remove the sin you've put on her. Good day Mrs. Coulter"

Furious with they way she's being treated, Marisa storms off back to the car she came in and ordered the driver to take her to the airfield.

————————

Lyra was tested to see how strong the dust is through photographs. The doctors were shocked to see how much was showing up in the photos.

"We need to have her procedure done soon, looks like she's in the verge of changing"

"Excuse me doctor, but what do you mean I'm on the verge of change? What were the photos for? You see I wash regularly"

"Don't worry dear, this will be over real soon"

Sister Sophie just stared at Lyra and gave a creepy smile. Lyra noticed she had no dæmon, Lyra noticed not everyone had a dæmon. That scared her a lot.

"Come Lyra, come with me and I'll get you some dinner. You must be hungry"

Lyra just nod and walked with sister Sophie. Once they got to the cafeteria, Lyra noticed all the children just watched her as she sat at a table that had some food waiting for her.

"These must be all the children the gobblers have snatched Pan. I thought there'd be more. Stay close Pan, we don't know what these adults are capable off"

Lyra slowly ate her meal while the other children went off to their rooms. Lyra wasn't alone there were still two sisters watching Lyra and guards on the other side of the doors. Once Lyra was finished she was taken to one of the girls dorms to sleep.

—————-

Back in London Marisa was boarding her zeppelin, once seated Marisa pulled out her favourite picture of her and Lyra.

"Don't worry Lyra, I'm coming. I just hope I'm not too late and get to you in time"

The zeppelin stopped in Trollesund to refuel and collect more people. Marisa was getting impatient that she began to get angry with the staff.

"We need to get this thing in the air, I have places to be you know"

Not impressed the guards just smiled and nodded and walked away as they didn't want to be around Marisa.

About an our later the zeppelin was back in the air. Next stop Bolvanger.

——————-

Lyra couldn't sleep as some of the girls were crying in their sleep, so she'd just lay there and stare at the ceiling.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this Pan, but I actually miss her..... I miss my mother. But I don't think she'd come this far to save me"

"Don't give up hope Lyra, I bet she knows where we are and is on her way to save us"

"I won't hold my breath Pan, but I hope she is"

Next thing the large metal door opens and all the girls sit up in bed. A different sister comes in and walks up to the row of beds.

"Cassie, can you come with me please"

The girl and her cat dæmon got up and walked towards the sister. The other girls started to whisper and then look at Lyra. The door closes and the girls crowd around Lyra and Pan.

"Not to scare you, but you see Cassie was one of the last girls to arrive and now she's been taken away. We won't see her again. I bet you're next"

Lyra's eyes grew wide and fear set in.

"How many girls have been taken and not returned? I know what they are doing to these children. You have to believe and trust me"

"We don't trust no one. Us girls have been here the longest and we stick together. You new girl, you're on your own"

Lyra lays back down and hides under the covers.

"We need to do something and quick Pan. I don't know if what that girl said is true or not.. I don't want to be next, I don't want to lose you... have you cut away from me"

Lyra didn't sleep after that.

Morning finally came and the buzzing sound of an alarm came through the halls. It was roll call. Lyra saw the other girls get their warm clothes on and she followed suit. Lyra followed all the girls to this little court yard to where all the children including the boys were. Sister Sophie and sister Clara were taking turns calling out children's names. Then they called Lyra's name out and all the children all turned around and just stared at her. Next thing two male hands touch Lyra's shoulders, all the children turn back around. Lyra wasn't game to turn around to see who this was but when he spoke, his voice sounded so familiar.

"Follow me please Lyra"

Lyra obeyed and followed him.

"We have this new machine we want you to try out. It won't hurt you or your dæmon at all"

Lyra knew exactly what was going to happen and she started to run. She got near the girls dorm then she blacked out. One of the men got a hold off Pan and made them both pass out. While doctor Cooper help Pan the other picked up Lyra. On their way to the extraction room they noticed a zeppelin coming into the loading strip.

"She's not due to arrive now. Oh I hope it's not one of those surprise visits where she wants to watch a child be cut from their dæmon. Oh well if that's the case we have a child we can use to show her the new machine. You there, go get Mrs. Coulter and bring her to the new extraction room"

Brother Joe still had Lyra passed out in his arms and placed her in the metal box and doctor Cooper placed Pan in the other one. As soon as the doors were shut Lyra and Pan woke up and started screaming and banging on the little windows to let them out.

"You have no idea who i really am. Mrs. Coulter wouldn't want this"

Doctor Cooper started up the machine and a bright red laser started to turn on. As buttons were being pressed the laser started to move. Slowly coming down between Pan and Lyra.

"Pan, no..... never. I wish mother was here, she'd stopped this"

Then Lyra passes out. Next thing Marisa walks into the room and notices Lyra in the box.

"Stop the examination. NOW. What have you done? That's my daughter you have in there"

Marisa runs down to the box and opens it and Lyra falls out.

"Someone help me"

Lyra wakes up in her mothers arms and the first thing she did was hug her.

"You saved me. But.... where's Pan?"

"It's ok darling, my dæmon has him. He's ok. You need to rest dear"

Lyra was so happy to see her mother again.  Marisa pulls Lyra in to show her that she's never leaving her again.