×4×

Erica had incredibly beautiful handwriting. Her cursive was exquisite and looked pleasing to the eye with its neat swirls and smoothness.

Of course, she had to have beautiful handwriting for she was a young miss of a noble household. It was a requirement, and she has spent a good part of her early childhood practicing under the watchful eyes of her tutors. It was now a second nature for her.

Seeing such handwriting made Georgie realise that this miss was indeed of a higher social standing compared to herself, much higher, possibly on the level of the Counts immediate family. She was suddenly hit with the realisation that she had rudely barged into this young girl's world showing great disrespect all to fulfil her selfish curiosity.

Georgie was ashamed and could not believe why she had not been punished yet. She thought the miss should file a complaint to the head maid or directly dismiss her from her duties as a servant. Georgie felt the urge to drop down on her knees and beg for forgiveness but before she could do a thing, a page was gently handed to her.

Erica looked shyly looked away. Georgie had been watching her every move and she was terrified that she had made a mistake. She did not want the servant to run off straight to the Countess and tattle on all her wrong doings. She did not know how she would deal with that type of confrontation after all, her social skills had slowly been destroyed through the years.

Georgie's eyes analysed the writing on the page at record speed before she had even realised it. She was absorbing each sentence, each word and allowing her emotions to dance on her face.

Erica was fidgeting. She was uncomfortable with the silence as Georgie read away. A million thought were racing through her head.

Will she believe me or think that I am lying?

Will she laugh at me?

Is she able to read my handwriting? It is so untidy...

I hope she does not hate me after this...

Georgie gasped causing Erica to look back up at her. Georgie finished reading a few seconds after. She dropped the page and held both hands to her mouth. Her eyes were watery as she gazed down at Erica.

Erica was not given enough time to fully comprehend the situation and Georgie's reaction as the next second two arms were flung around her.

"How could they do this to you?!" Georgie cried out. "You did nothing wrong to deserve such punishment!"

After trying to console a wailing Georgie with awkward pats on her back, she finally calmed down and pulled away from Erica.

"Oh, my apologies My Lady Erica, I did not mean to startle you with that hug." Georgie apologised wiping her eyes.

Erica gave a small smile as if to say it was okay.

"I am so angry about this situation." Georgie grumbled.

'You believe me?' Erica mouthed wide eyed.

"Of course, I do! There is something about you that tells me to trust you, it's strange..."Georgie replied.

There was silence again. Erica reached down to pick up the fallen page off the floor.

"No let me do that." Georgie stopped her and picked up the page herself placing it back on the desk.

"My Lad-" Georgie began but was interrupted mid speech by Erica who put up her hand. Georgie understood what she wanted.

"Miss-" Again Erica stopped her.

Georgie sighed and gave a small smile in defeat. "Erica."

Erica nodded in approval. She did not deem herself worthy of being addressed so formally. She believed that she had long lost that privilege and no longer deserved it.

"Erica..."Georgie started again, "When was the last time you left the Alvore estate?"

It was a strange question. One that left Erica a little bewildered. She did not know how to answer so she shrugged her shoulders and looked nervously down at her hands.

Georgie frowned but tried her best to hide it mustering all her will power to smile instead.

"There is a summer festival taking place tomorrow evening..." Georgie started, "I... I want to help you... You do not deserve this..." Georgie's fragile smile started to break.

Erica looked up at her. Her eyes widened as she took in Georgie's words.

"What I'm trying to say is...um..." Georgie struggled to find the best way to string her words together, "I am merely just a maid, a servant of this estate so I cannot do much, but I can offer you a chance to get out of this wretched place."

Erica was about to decline the offer. There was no way she could sneak out. What if she was caught, the Countess would surely not let it slide.

"Before you say no, don't worry about being caught. The festival is organised by the lower-class civilians, chances of running into any official are slim to none. Sneaking out will not be an issue either. Most of the servants have been given tomorrow evening off since the Count and his family will not be on the estate." She cautiously mumbled out the last part carefully watching Erica's reaction.

Erica frowned without realising. Her family tended to travel often. Once a long time ago she to travelled with them. It was always exciting. A feeling she had long forgotten.

"It has been decided then. I will find you again tomorrow afternoon before the sun sets." Georgie proclaimed making sure not to give Erica a chance to back out. She then bid her a goodnight and left soon after.

Erica was frozen as she tried to comprehend what had just happened. She needed to find a way tell Georgie that she could not go. She would not risk it.

If they were caught, the punishment would be severe. She had a higher chance of receiving a lesser punishment compared to Georgie. If Georgie were caught, there is no telling whether that she would be executed on the spot.

Georgie was the first person to have spoken to her and shown her kindness in years. Erica did not want to lose her to something so silly.

All these fears and doubts flooded into her head. She was nervous and scared but a tiny part of her was curious. She wanted to know what the festival would be like. She wanted to experience life again.

Was that selfish of her?