×53×

Erica was regretting her decision. Every part of her was screaming to jump out the carriage and run back. It got worse with as they got closer.

On the final day of travel, she was a jittering mess.

The Duchess of Waisend most certainly noticed and had tried to reassure the anxious girl but was lacking in success.

Edith and Cassius were more susceptible, as children are, to being indirectly affected by Erica's mood.

Edith was unable to sit still. It had gotten so bad that on the final day the Duchess had requested that her little girl rides ahead with the Duke.

Cassius was a different, he was restless and unable to get comfortable. This caused the little boy to be exhausted.

Although Erica was the reason for this, she was fortunately able to calm the poor child with gentle lullabies that softly coaxed him to sleep. Cassius had his head on his mother's lap as soft snores escaped his mouth. The Duchess gently ran her hands through his hair massaging his scalp in a comforting manner.

"Erica my dear, it will be alright." The Duchess smiled trying to sooth her.

Erica mustered a smile and took a deep breath trying to calm herself.

Her stress and nerves were taxing on her body, but the effects had yet to show. The Duchess knew the poor girl would burn out at this rate.

"I'm sorry." She replied so gently that the Duchess almost felt bad for bringing it up.

"No need to apologise, I'm just concerned for your health."

Erica gave a grateful smile. The Duchess of Waisend was truly a magnificent woman. Erica knew how lucky she was to be in her presence and was grateful to receive such kindness.

The final stretch of the journey passed quickly and before Erica knew it, they were in the capital.

The large clock tower indicated high noon, and this was evident it the bustling streets with merchants and traders rising about.

Cassius had surfaced from his mother's lap and now looked excitedly out the carriage window. The Duchess smiled lovingly at her son's bright face.

Erica however was even more nervous if possible than before. She had tried her hardest to remain still and calm, but it was slowly eating away at her.

Erica remained away from the window as best she could, the fear that she might be spotted and recognised pertained to this.

As the carriage made its way to the Waisend capital residence, it happened to briefly pass the luxurious outer walls on the southern section of the Alvore estate.

Erica noticed this and her heart stopped. Her fear was so intense that she nearly fainted.

"Erica?" The Duchess called.

Erica could not hear her. Her eyes were fixed on the Alvore estate, flinching at every sign of possible movement from the smallest bird to the gardeners going about their duties.

Erica wanted to run away somewhere far and hide. Her fear made her fight or flight instincts kick in.

She reached for the door handle on the opposite side, but the Duchess predicted her movements and stopped her before she could swing it open.

"Alvore." It was not a question, it was a firm observation from the Duchess, "They are the people who hurt you..."

Erica flinched away. The Duchess saying these words out loud made her blood run cold and caused her breathing to pick up.

She was starting to show early signs of a panic attack.

"You are related to the Count Alvore." The Duchess continued watching the girl carefully.

Erica was now shaking as her chest tightened. She was extremely frightened.

Erica regretted accepting the invitation.

This was a bad idea right from the start. She should have realised this sooner. She should have not let herself agree to join the Waisends.

Erica's vision began to blur.

Suddenly two tiny arms wrapped around her causing her to momentarily stop and look down.

Cassius.

He was sitting next to her on the seat leaning in with his head buried in her shoulder.

The young boy knew something was wrong and wanted to instinctively comfort the girl the same way his mother did for him when he was sad or scared.

Erica's heart swelled at his sweet little action and before she knew it, the Duchess had wrapped her in a warm embrace as well.

Erica suddenly felt safe and at ease. It was such an unfamiliar feeling, but she knew that from this point on she would always crave it.

They had long passed the Alvore estate and not another word was spoken. The silence was comforting. The Duchess had pulled away from Erica, but Cassius remained glued to her side.

The Waisend capital estate may not have been as large as their main one in the Port Town of Canterbre but it certainly was no lesser extravagant in comparison.

The small gardens and intricate architecture created such a pleasing appeal. It truly expressed the Waisend power and elegance.

The capital estate was one of the most beautiful buildings in the city coming in a close second to the unmatched Trencent residence.

The Duke of Waisend had arrived just ahead of the carriage with Edith. Edith was beyond excited for the ball that night over at the Trencent's.

She was running up and down the hallways unable to sit still with anxious servants running after her trying to keep the energetic girl out of harm's way.

When her mother entered the building, Edith bounced up to her overflowing with energy and excitedly urged the Duchess to follow her up to her room to show her mother her dress for the evening.

Erica walked in behind the Duchess, Cassius gently holding onto the folds of her dress not wanting to leave her side.

The Duchess could not help but smile at this, her son truly was adorable.

"Please." Edith wined now pulling on her mother's hands.

"Just hold on a second dear." The Duchess smiled and pinched her little cheeks before looking back at Erica, "Erica dear, I will have a servant take you to your room. You should find a few dresses ready for you to choose from in the meantime. I will help you get ready once I deal with this little one."

Erica nodded not knowing what else to do.

She then tried to slowly coax Cassius into letting go reassuring the child that she would be okay and that he should go and have fun.

Cassius reluctantly let go and kept looking back at Erica as a servant slowly guided him off.

Erica smiled at the boy watching as he slowly disappeared around the corner before turning to face the servant that would lead her to her room.

Erica would forever be in debt to the Waisend family's kindness so for their sake she would put on a brave front.

She vowed to cause them no trouble and not matter the cost, avoid all her Alvore family members.

She would attend the Trencent ball tonight under the protection of the all-powerful Waisend Duchy.