×37×

Exactly one week after the Count Alvore received the news of his youngest's passing, he sent out a letter to summon his son Walter to the estate. All the members of the main Alvore family were present. 

From the letter Walter immediately knew something was not right yet when he arrived at the estate everything felt normal except at the same time it did not.

He arrived afternoon when the sun began to set yet no colours were present in the sky. The clouds prevented it leaving the sky shades of grey. It was going to rain soon.

As Walter dismounted his horse, soft patters of water began to fall. It was so soft that it was almost like mist that could be carried by the wind.

Walter sighed. He hated this type of rain. Why could it not be a storm and get over with it? He knew it would last all night if not for a few days after.

Rain like this meant everything would be wet and cold. There would be no time to dry, and it would soak into everything. How bothersome.

Upon entering the manor, Walter made his way to the main drawing room as per instruction relayed through a servant.

His mother and two siblings, Sorin and Sibyl were already there waiting.

"Mother." He greeted first before greeting his two siblings. Sibyl however did not even bother to acknowledge him.

Walter was curious to know why they were all present, but it seemed he was not alone. Sorin, who was gently tapping his foot, seemed curious as well which was strange.

Sorin works so closely with the Count that one would think he would know but from the looks of it he was unsure. The Countess however was not as easy to read. Walter had a talent for reading most people, but he was faced with a lot of difficulty when it came to his mother. She was good at hiding what she was thinking.

She gently lifted up the teacup bringing it to her lips as she stared at the door waiting for her husband unconcerned about her three children present. Walter missed the sly look of anticipated victory in dancing in her eyes.

Sibyl seemed bored and annoyed like she had better things to do which in her mind she did. She needed to take her lavender bath around this time every evening in order to maintain her flawless skin according to what some of the other noble ladies had been chatting about at her last tea party. Sibyl always fell for these things whether they worked or not.

A few minutes past before the Count finally entered the room. The very first thing that Walter noticed was that he had lost quite a bit of weight since he last saw him. His eyes were also sunken in slightly and his eye bags were more prominent.

The others seemed to not notice this, but it made sense since they saw him more often than Walter so a gradual change would be overlooked.

"Good. Everyone is here." The Count acknowledged.

He made no move to sit down and remained standing. No one spoke as they waited for the head of the family to continue.

"It's unfortunate that I bring the news of a family member's passing." He gave a small frown, but his face revealed nothing as he continued. "Erica Alvore is with us no more."

There was complete silence as he let his words sink in.

The Countess gave a sad frown, something she had been practicing for a long time and walked up to comfort her husband by taking his hand in her own and giving it a squeeze which for once he let her actually do.

Sibyl's acting was less believable.

"Oh no. That's horrible." She pretended to tear up, "May I please be excused?"

The Count further frowned but nodded. He thought that she did not want to cry in front of her family. Sibyl shot up faster than lightning and rushed out the room muttering the word finally under her breath. No one but Walter heard it, but he was too much in shock to react.

Walter felt immense guilt, regret and sadness. It was so bad that he could not move and stood frozen in his spot. The news had shocked him, it was like a sword had plunged him straight through the chest.

Sorin seemed bothered by the news as well but not as badly as Walter. Sorin did not know Erica. He had forgotten what she looked like. He had forgotten her. A strange feeling dwelled in his chest; it was sadness but there was something else too... Guilt.

"H... How?" Walter's voice slightly broke as he tried his hardest to regain his composure. This drew Sorin out of his thoughts.

"Carriage accident on her way back from Port Canterbre." The Count pulled his arm away from the Countess.

"When?" Walter's voice was still weak.

"I only received word a week ago." The Count paused before he turned to leave dismissing himself.

As his words settled, they made Walter angry, very angry. Something snapped in him.

"You knew this for an entire week and said nothing?!"

"Do not speak to me with that tone boy." The Count warned. Walter was losing control of his emotions, something the Count had always been taught was a weakness so to see his own son doing it was against his morals.

In actuality the Count was jealous of his son's ability to openly express his emotions, but he would never admit that not even to himself. He forced himself to see it as a weakness like he had been taught by his own father, the previous count.

"I did what needed to be done." The Count spoke coldly.

"You withheld this from all of us!" Walter seethed.

Count Alvore was still very displeased with the tone Walter continued to use. It was highly disrespectful, but it showcased just how upset his son was.

"Your father did what he thought was right!" The Countess defended her husband. She wanted to be in his good books even if it meant going against her own son.

Walter ignored her and narrowed his eyes at his father. He was waiting for his response.

"King Alwin's sudden death and the coronation of the King Aleric needed to be dealt with first." The Count met his son's eyes. His gaze was strong. He was forcing his son to back down and know his place.

"And what my sister, my own flesh and blood, is not important?!" Walter spat meeting his father's gaze head on challenging him.

"Half-sister." The Countess couldn't help but slip in. Something she almost immediately regretted as her son's harsh gaze fell on her. It almost caused her flinch away.

She was shocked that he would look at her like that. His own mother who gave birth to him and furthermore she hated how he was reacting to Erica's death. It disgusted her. He was turning on his own parents because of the horrible girl. Thank goodness she was dead, but she had already caused so much damage. She had corrupted her son. The Countess regretted not 'punishing' her more.

"Enough. Talk to me when you cool down." The Count reprimanded. He was tired of this and knew if they continued this banter, the outcome would be too unpredictable especially with Walter's current state. He would properly discipline the boy later for this but for now he needed rest.

Walter was about to respond when Sorin stopped him by placing a hand on his shoulder and shaking his head. Walter stared at him searching for support but found none. He was upset that his brother was being a bystander, that he did not feel the way he did.

He shoved Sorin's hand off his shoulder and stormed out the room. Sorin was about to go after him, but his father's words stopped him.

"Leave him. Let him cool down."

Walter did not return after that. He left the estate and rode back to the barracks in the miserable weather. He took longer than normal even though he was going a such a fast speed and let the rain completely soak him and his horse. His emotional state was a complete wreck.