×35×

A feather duster moved frantically over the shelves in Count Alvore's office. The young servant girl dusting it had been unknowingly rushing through her duties. She had been riddled with anxiety resulting in her movements been frantic and unkept.

Georgie was not doing well. Sleep was proving to be difficult as her mind had been preoccupied with thoughts of Erica.

Louis had contacted Georgie a few days prior with regards to her younger brother's status. He had been moved to a safer location where he could no longer be used against her. Louis had even gone to the extent of assigning a personal physician to the boy and was monitoring his health closely. 

Georgie had been relieved at this news and felt greatly indebted to the man. She tried to offer payment to support her brother but was continuously declined. Louis would not allow her to do anything.

As soon as Georgie received the news regarding her brother's safety, she had snuck down to see Erica again. The Countess had allowed her nowhere near the girl after the last incident as Georgie was desperate to see her dear friend again. She was so worried about the girl and her injuries that she had planned to help her escape. 

When Georgie last saw the girl, she was all battered and bruised. She had been tortured. What broke Georgie more was the fact that she hurt her too. Georgie had done something so unforgivable that she would never let herself forget it. 

She was the one to sell Erica out. 

What worsened it was that she was further forced to lie about the man Erica went to meet that day. He had never called the guards on her, but Georgie had made the mistake of bringing up this to the Countess when she was queried. 

She could only imagine the pain and betrayal that Erica must have felt. Georgie wanted to explain everything to her, but she knew that there was a high chance that Erica would never forgive her not that she ever needed to. 

 Unfortunately, when Georgie went to see Erica again, she was long gone. The hidden room where she was being kept was vacant. This caused Georgie to grow scared. 

She rushed up to Erica's room hoping that she had been moved back but her heart dropped when there was still no sign of her. 

Georgie was panicking, she did not know where else to look, she just prayed that wherever Erica was that she was okay and that she would return soon. Georgie was powerless and all she could do was wait.

As the days went by there was nothing. Not a word. Not a sighting. Not even a whisper.

What had the Countess done to her? 

Georgie's panicked dusting became even more frantic as horrible thoughts began to fill her head. When she moved to get a better reach, she heard a soft crunch. She had accidentally stood on a piece of crumpled paper. 

She looked around to make sure no one was watching and reached down to pick it up.

The Count and his family were all in attendance at King Aleric's coronation, so the estate was empty save for the servants attending to their duties.

Georgie placed the crumpled letter back on the Counts desk smoothing it out. She had thought that she had cause most of the crumpling to it when in reality it was crumpled before. 

She paid no mind to the contents knowing that it was not her place to snoop, and the consequences would be far too great if she was caught. She was a lowly servant who had no business in Count Alvore's affairs.

Unfortunately, as much as one may try, when presented with words written in the language one can read in, it is almost impossible to prevent to the accidental reading of a few. The ability to read means one will forever be able to read what is placed before their eyes before they can even stop to think about it. It is like a doubled edged blade in that sense.

In Georgie's case this so happened when her eyes caught glimpse of a very specific word or rather name. 

Erica Alvore.

That was all it took for her eyes to soak up the entirety of the page before her. Every word, every sentence and every punctuational mark was imprinted in her mind in desperation.

Georgie did not move. She stood frozen in place as the contents of the letter registered in her mind. 

She let out a shaky breath and fell to her knees using her arms to hold her up for support.

She did not want to believe it. It was not true. It cannot be true.

A lone tear escaped as it fell down her cheek. Before she could even realise it, she was crying. She was completely drowning in her tears. 

"Miss Georgie? What happened?" A startled gasp came.

It was Emma, the head maid. She had been passing by when she had heard crying. Upon investigating the source, she was shocked to find Georgie on the floor in tears.

"She... Mrs Emma... It's so horrible." Georgie wheezed out through her tears. 

Emma rushed to her side and help her up pulling Georgie into her arms into a comforting embrace. She did not know what happened but whatever it was, was devastating to the poor girl. Georgie could not work like this let alone be seen in this state.

What worried her was that the Count could be returning soon, and he would most certainly not be happy to find a crying servant in his personal study. There is no telling what he would do.

Emma gave the crying girl soothing rubs on the back and slowly escorted back to her room. It took a very long time for Georgie to calm down and when she did, she looked empty. 

Unfortunately, Emma could not comfort the girl for long as she not only still had her own duties to complete but now Georgie's too. She returned later that evening to find that Georgie had not moved, she was staring into space with a blank expression dawning her features.

"I want to leave..." She trailed off when she noticed Emma.

"Pardon?" Emma was surprised.

"This job. I can no longer do it." Georgie looked down at her hands.

"May I know the reason." Emma walked up to Georgie and sat beside her.

"It is no longer worth it." Georgie still did not meet her eyes.

"What will you do after?" Emma gently asked.

"I do not know. I will try find work somewhere else." Georgie finally looked up.

"It saddens me to see you like this, but I will respect your choice. I have a cousin who works as a tailor in the area, he is in need of an assistant if you are up for it?" Emma wanted to help.

Georgie gave a small warm smile. She was grateful for Emma; she would miss her.

"Thank you." Her words were sincere.

"Take care of yourself Miss Georgie and I hope that whatever troubles you now are resolved, and peace comes to you." Emma stood up and gave her hands a gentle squeeze, "And tell that delightful suitor of yours, whom ever he may be, that if he dares to hurt you, I will personally deal with him."

Georgie was slightly caught at the last statement. "You knew?"

"Of course, I did dear. I am the head maid for a reason you know, I know my maids like the back of my hand. It's easy to tell when one is love struck." She teased.

Georgie blushed, "It is not like that."

"Sure it isn't." She winked, "Anyway I am off to bed. Be sure to say goodbye when you leave."

"Of course. Goodnight Mrs Emma."