Chapter 10 - Smoke Signals

//"You must have been looking for me, sending smoke signals" //

Diana waited anxiously in the Parlour, tapping her foot lightly on the embroidered carpet

Diana waited anxiously in the Parlour, tapping her foot lightly on the embroidered carpet. It was an open, sunny room, bound by peach-stained windows that looked onto a grassy flowerbed, that fell away to the graveyard. The space was rather rounded off with soft fabric, and thick cushions adorned with floral stitches- the sort her mother would undoubtedly go mad about. A chime had just sounded form the corridor, the grandfather clock- its gaunt face would peer down at her every time she paced past.

Last night was a blur of movement; faces and voices merged in a wash of confusion, the darkness of the evening settling over all memory. Somehow- and she could not for the life of her remember how- she had boarded a train to Summerside at the fall of the afternoon. For some reason she couldn't remember, she had let Phil lead her across town, streetlight to streetlight. Stunned, if not somewhat delirious, she had allowed the swelling music, the low hum of conversation, the warmth of the gathering- swallow her. The night was intoxicating, something about the whirl of velvet gowns, the reassurance of that pearl gloved hand on her arm, the stars...

"..truly, I had no idea there was so much possibilities in that line of work..."

"..I'd be happy to take you on as an intern, it would be a great experience..."

"..once school has ended, the more practical option.."

"Anything peaked your fancy?" Phillipa was at Diana's shoulder.

Diana smiled. "So much, too much, its all so.."

"Overwhelming?"

"New." "I didn't know there was so much, for us, for me."

"It's just the start. But we can leave whenever you get tired, just.. say the word."

"Thanks, I.." She trailed off, hearing a distant voice.. it sounded so oddly familiar.

"I'm not lying."

"Never said you were."

"You did, with your eyes."

"It's just my resting expression Gilbert, constantly doubting whatever comes out of your mouth."

Diana held her breath, the grin immediately overcoming her face. She couldn't believe it. It was ridiculous, insane... that he was here.

"Gilbert Blythe?" She called, and couldn't help it, her voice so inappropriately loud over the surrounding chatter- a laugh fought through at the end.

He turned at her voice, the next comment to the boy next to him forgotten when he recognised her.

"Diana?" He responded, astounded. She went to Gilbert without thinking, hugging him with a squeal, like a little kid. Gilbert laughed, shock dissolving into gladness as he held her.