Chapter 5 - Solider poet king

// "There will come a poet, whose weapon is his word" \\

———- play song now ———

"You don't know anything!" Josie scorned as the five girls lingered in the entrance hall of their boarding house. They had one new group member today: Phillipa.
Anne knew that the trip to town depended entirely on how Josie thought of her. Initially, things looked bleak, as Phil rambled aimlessly on about the 'practicalities of tea sets' .
This was probably because she reminded Josie of Anne too much. Then, on pure circumstance Josie commented on the unbearable nature of boys.
"They always think they know what's for the best, and they won't hear anything else!"
And Phillipa put in,
"I profusely agree! Why should they be the ones to have the final say in things? It's utterly ridiculous, I tell you, especially when you think about all the things that we go through that they can't possibly imagine or compare. I'll be dammed if I ever let my husband tell me what to think in the future." she spoke firmly.
Josie turned and looked at Phillipa with newfound respect.
"I fear we don't have much choice when we are married... but I agree. I agree Phil." Josie responded carefully. It was the first time she had called the girl by her preferred nickname.

"But I do know things Josie, I'm merely out of practice." Ruby protested.
"Rubs, we live in a village. You were never in practice." Jane pointed out gently.
Ruby pouted. "It's not my fault I don't live in a  town. In fact, I would, if it were my choice. I'm much more suited to city-life," she smiled proudly at this statement.
"It's certainly an adjustment, from Avonlea." Diana admitted.
"You needn't worry girls, I'll teach you all you need to know about living in Charlottetown." Josie flicked her hair a little, hanging in small curls over her forehead.
Anne laughed silently. Josie always loved to be the one with the knowledge. She couldn't blame her, it was comforting, knowing- nothing was hidden from you that way.
"First rule, act like you belong here."
"But we don't belong here Josie." Tilly said, frowning.
"But you can imagine what is like to, right?" Anne suggested, smiling reassuringly.
"Eyes forward ahead of you," Anne started.
"Head up, proud." Phil put in.
"Walking fast, but not too fast." Josie directed.
"Back straight, with smile on your face!" Phil animated her words in her expression.
"As if with out a care in the world." Anne finished, but the sentiment didn't reach her eyes, and Diana didn't fail to hear the sad tone under her words.
"Right, I can do that!" Ruby puffed up her chest, imitating confidence. She clutched Anne's hand.
"Together?" she asked.
"Together." Anne chuckled.

——————>>>>>>

The streets were bustling, bursting and bubbling with the new rush of life that came with the arrival of the new academic year. People of all sorts and all ages passed the group of girls with out so much as a glance. No one seemed to notice the 4 Avonlea girls, so obviously out of place here. It was at this reflection that Anne realised she was yet to find out where Phil had lived prior to Queens. A person's home town was crucial to the person, Anne knew. Avonlea was part of her, like or some far off place was part of Phil. Before she could ask however, Josie spoke.
"Look girls, a Tea Place!" Even she spoke with excitement.
"Yes, lets take refuge there." Tilly suggested firmly.
The five of them awkwardly crossed the road, which held a consistent stream of carts and carriages, horses rushed by, kicking up dust.
Anne was the last one to escape the road through the door of the petite tea place. A bell ringed cheerily, announcing their arrival, but the most contrasting quiet followed it. She hadn't realised how truly loud it was outside. She embraced the new atmosphere with a certain amount of relief.
"Oh isn't this lovely!" Ruby whispered with awe blatantly present in her face. Her eyes were wide, and her lips were slightly parted. She smiled and gazed around the room, not being able to bare missing a single detail. Anne rethought that maybe city-life really was for Ruby. She seemed exhilarated by this new world. 
Josie ushered them to a group of tables near each other, and several heads turned as the girls took their seats, but the eyes didn't linger on them, and they all went back to their quiet conversations.
"Shouldn't we have a male escort? It isn't proper that we are here by our selfs." Diana asked worriedly.
"I feel safer with any one of you girls than I would with any man." Josie scoffed.
They all mumbled agreement and Diana stared at the table, her cheeks flaming.
"It's ok Di," Anne spoke, placing a hand over her friend's.
"You don't have to go anywhere alone, if you don't want to."
Diana opened her mouth as if she was about to speak, but shut it again tentatively. Looking up once, "I know." was all she murmured.