Chapter 1- Anchor

// "Both our eyes locked to the tide; we went in circles somewhere else" \\

Anne entered her dorm room quietly, she could just make out the vague silhouettes on the narrow bed frames that vaguely resembled her friends

Anne entered her dorm room quietly, she could just make out the vague silhouettes on the narrow bed frames that vaguely resembled her friends. It was dark, and peaceful in the dusty room. She naturally moved toward the only source of light: a small but satisfactory window on the south facing wall. It neatly framed a waxing moon, casting its snowy gaze upon the quiet yet broad town. It immediately reminded Anne of a gentle sleeping giant- it's large yet silent demeanour fed a sense of anticipation that was often felt even in the restful moments at Queens. The whispers of potential, the hints of the adventure that was sure to come when that bright, boundless sun arose in the morning.
Anything could happen.
She confided these words to the wind that whisked busily through the open window. It was an oddly warm September darkness, that still seemed to remember the summer bliss. It hung on like threads in a well worn scarf, like early morning dew, glistening reminiscently.
Turning away from the window, she caught a watchful gaze from across the room.

Four beds presumably accounted for four girls, but often Jane or Ruby would move in from across the hall to sleep. They would talk gossip for hours on end, and that was part of the reason Anne would vacate to the library in the evenings.
Their Mistress- a well meaning but short tempered woman- assigned Anne to sleep in a dorm with Diana, Josie and Tillie. A fact which please Tillie but, expectantly, rather irritated Josie.
Josie Pye.
At first the watchful girl averted her gaze away, embarrassed. Butt when Anne didn't move, her expression changed and she re-met Anne's eyes with vengeance.
She glared.
"Go to bed Anne." She whispered, but not quite harshly enough for Anne to believe she was really angry.
"Josie, why are you still awake?" She asked tentatively.
"I could ask you the same question," Josie huffed, the darkness obscured her expression.
"Library." Was Anne's short answer.
Silence.
The night seemed to fill all the empty spaces between them.
A creak of the bed frame, a shuffle of sheets, and Josie had turned her back to her. Anne didn't press her question, and instead she climbed into her own bed, and pulled the covers over her chest.
Her lids were heavy after all, and she yearned for her mind to quiet into sleep. Tomorrow was a new day, with no mistakes in it.
Yet.
"Good night Josie." She murmured, her arm wrapping tightly around that soft, embroidered pillow.
"Hmph." Came Josie's reply, and Anne gave in to sleep.
Josie, however, did not rest that night. Instead she reimagined the dusty room around her into a more familiar depiction of home, again and again she tried to trick her mind. A few tears pricked at her eyes, but Josie blinked them away furiously. Determined she would not let anyone see her weakness- not even the empty darkness.