Chapter 16 - Cobalt

//"We are selfish beings; we've got ourselves to blame"\\

play song <3

Footsteps echoed out- the only sounds beside Diana's shallow breathing. Falling away into the sheltered side of the open corridor, she stared out to the south courtyard, empty view glazed with the sudden tumble of snow. Her chest, turbulent inhales desperate to receive some release, rejected by the confused rush of her head.

"Please, Di."

At her voice, Anne's steps too tore away, separated from Diana's. Breaths couldn't correlate with the words,

"What do you have to say? Really what could you possibly need to tell me?" Her fingers flexed, searching for focus.

"That I'm reckless? That I'm selfish?" Her lips parted, loose- the stone under her feet looked distorted, shifted to some tilted angle.

The cold walls amplified her voice, "Believe me Anne, I know."

There came a sharp exhale behind her.

Diana muttered, words growing louder. "Of course I know."

A hand brushed her arm. "You know I wouldn't say that."

At first Diana couldn't react, the contact shot flames into her every pore.

"Diana, look at me."

She shook Anne off with an audible tremor straying from her lips.

Anne is quiet for only a moment more- "Fine. I do have something to say." Her voice drips with sudden spite. Diana heard the exasperation, barely restrained in her next words.

"I can't understand how you can instantly regress to what your parents wanted from the very start."

She spun.

Her exclamation was strangled. "My parents?!"

Anne's posture shook, tensing- Diana's eyes, incredulous indignation now anchored on her.

But she couldn't stop, the words impulsively drawn out of her in the silence.

"They never wanted you to come here." Her shining sea- somewhere in the green-blue of her eyes pleaded some, distant understanding.

Diana's words caught on her tongue. "They, they do. Now they do."

It tasted sour. "You know they changed their minds."

Fuming she cut in, stepping forward. "No, Diana you've changed your mind." Her lips pursed, the duplicity gained lucidity with every moment in hung between them.

"What happened to graduation? To doing something with our education- together?"

She scoffed.