Chapter 19, Part 1 - 'Tis the Damn Season

// "And the road not taken looks real good now ; And it always leads to you in my hometown"\\

The Blythe- Lacroix Home, Avonlea

 The night had chased them down, and now Gilbert (made up in a stiff suit) watched as Bash got himself and Delphine ready for the Avonlea Christmas Panto. 

"... We were talking about College, I just thought I'd ask about Diana. A mistake, I guess." Bash said, struggling with the buttons on Delphine's sage cardigan. She wriggled fiercely- but grinned, ecstatic that she was allowed to be awake so long past her bed-time. 

Gilbert frowned. "What happened?" 

Lifting her up, the little girl giggled, and Bash made a face. "The moment it was mentioned all heaven and hell broke loose. Seems as though she hasn't made an effort in staying in contact with them. Mrs Barry scowled, all sudden, then Mr Barry almost upped and left the room. She then said that Diana sent a letter, explaining that she wouldn't be home for Christmas on account of a job opportunity." 

"The Photographers?" Recognition sparked in his memory. "She told me about them. But she said she wouldn't accept the employment until school was over- exams, at least." Gilbert fixed his tie in the kitchen window, wondering if his attire was too formal for just a Christmas panto. But it was the only thing he brought back from Fred's besides holed overalls. 

Bash rumpled Gilbert's hair with one hand, as the other held firmly onto Delphine. "Well, she's taken it. I'm surprised you didn't know- she's going to Toronto, after all." 

He forgot the window, turning to Bash. "What?"

"She still gave her parents an address." 

Gilbert stammered, "Why on earth wouldn't she tell me?"

"It seems that girl is a mystery to most." 

Gilbert brushed down the suit, and his eyes searched the ground aimlessly as he shook his head.

 "There'll be a reason. Do you think I could get the address? So I can write to her?" 

"They'll be there tonight, I'm sure. Their Minnie May is playing a big part." Bash tapped Delphine's nose lightly, "Just like you." 

"Me!" She squealed delightedly. 

 Gilbert came forward, bending to look into her brown eyes that glinted with sly glee.  "I know all of Avonlea will be there to see you." 

Bash smirked, then whispered into her ear. 

"He's counting on it." 

Gilbert pulled back, exasperation plain in the roll of his eyes. "You're not funny."

"No, but I'm right."  He chuckled. 

"You're irritating." 

"Gilbert-" Bash caught his shoulder before he could turn and walk towards the door, cutting off his own laughter. "It's okay to want to see her. Only..."  He shrugged. "Take a breath, it'll be alright." 

"Yeah." He said lowly, scrunching his chin. "Sure. Easy." 

***

Their carriage was full of painted wood, off-cuts of cloth and other baskets covered by fabric- all of it was apparently set and props for the Panto tonight.  Gilbert tried to fix it more securely with some rope, but the odd shapes and haphazardly piled supplies still leaned.