Chapter 15 - Everything Works Out in the End

- play song now if you'd like!! :) -

Diana remembered them, the night that smelt of ink and candle smoke. She felt the heat, the contained warmth under the covers of the bed protecting them from the cold reaching her forehead and shoulders over the material. It was so quiet- quieter than you would expect a group of seven girls in one room to be. An uncoordinated chorus of breaths would wash through the dormitory, a vulnerable tone softens the space. The feel of the covers is crisp under Diana's clammy finger tips. She allowed herself to relax, turning her neck loosely so her head on the cool pillow to the right, satin brushing her cheek. Those eyes were already fixed onto her, stony cobalt unwavering. Her smile grew a little, lashes- as defined as the clear dark strands falling across her cheeks- grazed her snowy glow of her lids. 

"Diana," Her voice sounded rusted from tiredness. 

"Mm?" 

"I need to thank you." She whispered, the words had soft edges but she still kept her direct, articulated tone.

Diana didn't ask what for- she studied the rings of red lining her eyes. 

"For the tutoring, for helping me. Really, I can't thank you enough."

"Don't thank me." Diana exhaled in a rush. 

Phil took her arms into her chest, pulling herself further under the covers, gaze averted her own for a moment. She sighed before saying, "Those evenings meant everything  to me, you know?"

"I know. You want to pass, to stay in School." Diana murmured into the dark.

Blue fought the shadows to stare at her. "I do." 

"I want to stay."

 Diana spoke, in a blurred whisper. "You will." 

"You should take the apprenticeship." Phil suddenly stated. 

Diana felt the skin on the back of her neck crawl.

"I wouldn't be able to go home for Christmas." Diana spluttered as quietly as she could muster. 

"That's true. But you told me yourself, when you met them here in Charlottetown that they said you were exactly what they needed."

"Just because I could play Piano-" Diana shifted uncomfortably. 

"And violin. You can sing, and create dresses." Phil cut in.

"But it's uncertain. They're not even sure if the company will work."

"Di.. Do you know how unusual it is, to have been approached unbiased by employers as a un-married woman still in school and with no guarantees? And for a job that you said sounds like a dream?"

"It shouldn't have happened to me." She protested. 

"Please don't." Phil pleaded. 

"Don't what?"