Chapter 14 - My Forest Fire

//"Even though my heart is stone; you will never feel alone"\\

Charlottetown had been fighting it for months, pushing away the inevitable cold only for the winter wind to return with a vengeance, tearing its way through the parks; stripping the trees of all protection; whistling around chimney tops, whispers failing to cross the warmth of indulgent fire places. Still, it pressed against windows, whisked under doors, demanding it's presence be known. Nights closed in with hurry, the streets quietened- the town mellowed under the pressure of December. The month threatened snow, teasing its scent between batterings of bitter rain. The first fall was silent, and quick. The second even thinner, barely a shedding scattered the roofs. The third was gathering with a menacing speed on the horizon, it had been thickening for days to a impenetrable white front blanching with every passing moment. Believing it a childish desire, many refused to admit even to themselves that when they gazed at it, they dared to wish for it's fall.

In a quiet square, in the centre of town and through the spotless glass of a shop window, Josie Pye sat dead still.

"You are a Student at Queens. What would your priorities be considering your work there and responsibilities here?"

Josie shifted her shoulders back, and crafted her gaze to something that rested between confidence and modesty.

"I aim to achieve balance. I work within schedules, and I'm certain I have more that enough time available to take on this job."

"And your expectations of compensation?" The man with a wide ended nose, and unruly eyebrows queried.

"Whatever you deem appropriate Mr. Reid. My main desire is to gain experience, you see." 

Josie had her hands folded carefully over her lap- there was a lazily paced clock on his desk, and a used glass, visibly rimmed with something that smelled alcoholic. The audible wheeze of breath- scuffing the bristles of his greying beard, and dying out in the stuffy air of the room- made her toes curl, raising the skin on the back of her neck.

"And remind me, Joyce, where are you from?" 

"Avonlea, Mr. Reid. Its only a small village, my family still live there."

"And what is you're family like, Joyce?"

Josie gritted her teeth, biting back the responses she desperately felt like saying.

"God-fearing, farming ancestry. I have a very young sister, and my parents are hardworking people."

"No brother?"

"No," Then she quickly added, "Mr. Reid."

"And are you engaged?"

Never, she bit her tongue to keep from screaming.

"Not at present, Mr. Reid." She replied.

"Well, you must become a busy girl and get into the courting game. Its best if you're young."

Josie tasted blood.

"Yes, Mr. Reid."

He heaved his shoulders, sighing heavily. "Well, I'll give you the job, as long as it doesn't distract you." He stood up, and his lungs payed for it- breath now a choked whistle.

"You will type up articles, reports, adverts. Anything that is going into the newspaper. It's a good job, a satisfying job." He gestured for Josie to stand and they both headed towards the door. She could still feel the warmth, the small gush of blood coming from her tongue.

A huge hand suddenly clasped her shoulder- she flinched harshly, recoiling under the touch, and watched the whiskered-knuckles grow white as the hold tightened.