4. ʀᴇᴀꜱꜱᴜʀᴀɴᴄᴇ

Just a year ago,

Things were so different.

Y/n did not get to sleep a wink

Y/n did not get to sleep a wink. She feared that if she closed her eyes for even a second, she would experience that horrid nightmare again.

She hugged her knees while averting her eyes to the door from time to time then to the clock. It was currently 7:45 am and visiting hours started at 8 am. She was fairly content since she knew Mikey always came at 8 am sharp with a bright smile plastered on his lips.

That smiled she loved so dearly.

It was not like the forced smiles nurses and doctors gave her, it was genuine.

In his sweet smile was all the love she would ever need.

A small knock followed with a small creak of the door's hinge, Mikey walked in and was immediately embraced by Y/n making his stumble back a little as tears spilled down her pale cheeks.

His prior face of shock turned into a more comforting one. He patted the female's back in reassurance.

Y/n slowly pulled back from the hug but quickly held onto Mikey's arms again because of her weak legs.

She looked down at her feet through her teary eyes and back at Mikey who had a worried expression daubed on his face.

She began to cry again.

It was a sign that her condition was worsening.

Ordinarily, she would be able to stand freely for an hour or so but it seems as though that was no longer the case.

Mikey helped her back onto the bed, pulling her into his embrace once again.

Worrying was just a total waste of time. It did not change anything. All it did was steal his joy and keep him occupied doing nothing.

But be that as it may, it did not stop his from doing so. It was similar to a reflex.

Something that Mikey vitally needed to understand is that time waits for nobody, life waits for nobody, no matter how bad their circumstances.

—————————————

After Mikey had quietened Y/n down, she sat cross-legged in between his legs while solving a rubik's cube.

They basked in a comfortable silence. All could be heard was the laughing and giggling of children outside - since the park was so close to the hospital - and Y/n's grunts of frustration, struggling to figure out how to get all the red squares onto one side.

Mikey found it quite entertaining, even cute, watching Y/n try to piece together the cube.

Unbeknownst to him, a lot was going through the girl's head. Like the symptom she had just newly discovered. Of course, she had a couple other symptoms like cardiomegaly and involuntary eye movements but they were only minor. She was terrified to say the least.

She wanted Mikey to be happy and being in a dull hospital room definitely did not contribute to his happiness in any way..at least not to Y/n.

She loved him to the moon and back and that meant striving for his happiness, even if it wasn't with her. She knew Mikey loved her unconditionally but was he happy?

Y/n was not at all a selfish person.

She put down the rubik's cube and faced Mikey, looking directly in his eyes with a serious expression on here face.

"Can I ask you something?", she signed.

Mikey could instantly tell that what she wanted to say wasn't trivial by the look on her face and the way she signed so stiffly. He gave a nod letting her know she had his full attention.

"Are you happy?", she asked as she tilted her head.

Mikey blinked twice before let out a small laugh, the answer being crystal clear.

"Of course I am", he signed.

Y/n didn't believe him. How could he be happy in such a place. Maybe he was just saying it to make her feel better. She gritted her teeth and clenched her fists.

"Your not! Stop lying", she signed before repeatedly hitting his chest.

Although, it felt like nothing to the boy. Y/n's body was frail so her punches essentially did nothing but let out her sadness and frustration.

"Forget about me Manjiro. I'm very good at goodbyes so don't worry", she signed with a bright smile on her lips.

Mikey knew Y/n all too well. She smiled with her lips but her eyes said otherwise. He knew that she was risking her happiness for his own and that she truly believed he was suffering.

He softly held the girl's wrists to stop her punching.

"Y/n it doesn't matter where I am, as long as you're there, I'm happy", he gave Y/n that reassuring smile she knew too well that whenever she saw it, she couldn't help but smile too.

"And I'll say it over and over again till I drive out those silly thoughts of yours", he signed, earning a small chuckle from the girl.

He placed his forehead against Y/n's one and placed his hand at the back of her head with his other hand against her own, his thumb rubbing small circles against her hand.

"You're safe with me Y/n, because I'll never leave you".

A/N: Crying from ep 11 </3

Make sure to vote and have a great day/ peaceful night <3

Author out

Word count: 908 wordsDate: 21/6/21           (D/M/Y)

Date: 21/6/21
(D/M/Y)