9. ᴡʜʏ ᴅᴏ ʙᴀᴅ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ?

The trouble is...

...He thought she had time.

Once they had eaten, they stayed in each other's company, Y/n laying her head on Mikey's chest and his hand wrapped around her shoulder while he placed soft kisses on her forehead from time to time

After a few silent and comfortable minutes, Mikey lightly tapped on Y/n's shoulder to get her attention.

"You ready to talk now?", he signed, giving her a nice smile that said there was no need to be nervous.

She took in a deep breath, sending back a melancholic smile.

"If I tell you, promise me you won't be sad", she signed.

He let out a small airy chuckle.

"Mm that's gonna be a bit hard seeing as whatever it is made you sad too", he signed.

"Ok then... you can be sad but don't cry", she responded.

Mikey nodded in agreement as he waited patiently for the girl to sign.

"I'm....losing my sight, Manjiro".

It took her a while but the words finally came out.

Mikey felt his heart sink. If he could put all of her pain, her grief, he suffering upon himself, without doubt, he would certainly do it and at this moment in time, he desperately wished it was possible.

He just didn't think a person such as Y/n -who has never done anything wrong- deserves to go through so much and at such a young and feeble age too. It wasn't fair.

He tried to recollect himself for Y/n's sake. He didn't want to break down in front of her and add to her stress.

He used his thumb and index finger to massage his tear ducts to prevent any tears from creeping out.

"Well, have you told anyone yet? Any doctors or nurses?", she shook her head.

"It was only when we went to pay Draken a visit I found out", she signed. "But I can see now, it just goes all fuzzy and back to normal again and repeats sometimes", she added. Not to mention, every time it happened, it gave her a pounding headache.

Mikey reached a conclusion to not worry just yet. It could easily be something else. Although the chances of that being true were little to none, it could still happen.

"Tell you what, we'll save the worrying until after we get a doctor, sounds good?", he signed. The girl nodded.

"And what ever happens, I'm still gonna be here so don't worry", he placed small kisses all over the palm of her right hand earning small giggles from Y/n.

She was extremely grateful for Mikey. Whether she was in a good mood or not, he still stuck with her and she couldn't imagine how she would cope with her illness without him. He was irreplaceable.

———————————

Mikey let out a sigh of relief knowing that Y/n's assumptions were to some extent inaccurate. She was instead diagnosed to having ocular migraines and that she was technically not losing her sight permanently.

In the future, her vision will sometimes be disturbed by blurry vision and headaches but if she took the medication she was prescribed, it would ease down the frequency.

But on the other hand, Y/n's illness varied from person to person so who was to say that she would never permanently lose her sight.

"You see? All your worrying was for nothing", Mikey signed as he brought her head to his chest and combed his hand through her h/c locks.

Even though- or as Mikey claims -her worrying was for nothing, she still didn't see it as a reason to be relieved of her worry. She didn't see herself getting better and even if it wasn't blindness, it was still something that she definitely could have lived without.

"Is Taka-chan coming today?", Y/n signed before interlocking her fingers with Mikey's ones.

Mikey hummed to himself trying to recall the conversation he had with Mitsuya earlier.

"Mm I don't think so but he said he'll definitely come tomorrow", he signed.

"It's like he'd rather spend time with his girlfriend than me, i'm gonna have to get a new best friend", she signed while huffing earning a small chuckle from her boyfriend.

A/N: make sure to vote and have a great day/ peaceful night <3

Author out

Word count: 733 wordsDate: 20/7/21          (D/M/Y)

Date: 20/7/21
          (D/M/Y)