Kiss the Nerd

Lennon: 16
Nora: 16

April 2030

He pushes through the library doors and makes his way to the back right corner to the table that they always occupy for their tutoring sessions. Nora has on a creme sweater with a plaid skirt and knee high black socks with a her Mary Jane Doc Martens. He walks up to the table and furrows his brows a bit when she doesn't immediately look up and greet him. She's normally really excited to see him. "Hey, Nerd."

She barely looks up from her textbook as she responds in a quiet voice. "Hey."

His brows furrow further as he watches her continue to scan through the textbook an actively not look at him.

Now, a couple of months ago, this would've been completely normal. That's how they usually greeted each other, as if they had 100 better things to do than talk to each other. But now? No no no, now they're friends. He even has a nickname for her. He's actually starting to enjoy the tutoring sessions, and now she's blowing him off. It just doesn't make any sense.

He sets down his books on top of the desk and sits down on the chair next to her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing,"Nora responds quietly as she shakes her head, scooting the textbook closer to Lennon and pointing at a problem on the page that she wants him to start solving. 

"Sure.."Lennon drawls out, rolling his eyes and not believing a word she's saying. And he's not about to let this go, even though she desperately wants him to. "'Kay now tell me the truth, what's wrong?" He leans his head down to try and peek through her bangs and get a good look at her face. "C'mon."

"No, really it's nothing,"Nora assures him, tucking a tuff of her light brown hair behind her ear and wiping her fogged glasses against the sleeve of her jumper.

"Uh huh,"Lennon replies in a tone that shows that he's completely unconvinced by her assurances. He rolls his eyes playfully and nudges his shoulder against her's. "C'mon, tell me." 

"it's nothing, I promise,"Nora says, a bit tightly, scooting away from Lennon. She's really not in the mood to joke around, but she will admit that he voice was a bit more harsh and stern than she was meaning for it to be. "I just had a bad day, but I'm fine." She looks up at him with her hazel eyes and tries out a smile to prove to him that she's fine. 

"Fine,"he concedes, getting her message and leaning his body away from her to try and give her some space. "Well maybe this would make you feel better." He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a piece of paper, sliding it on the table towards her. She looks down at the paper, her brows furrowing as she looks up at Lennon in completely confusion.

"It's a ticket to my football game on Friday night,"Lennon explains. "Do you wanna come?"
"Yeah,"Nora nods, a real smile crossing her face that shows the dimple in her right cheek. "I'd love to."

"Awesome,"Lennon smiles back at her, his eyes glistening as he sees the pure joy cross her face. "We can hang afterwards too if you want."

"Yeah,"Nora nods, trying to play it cool, but her blush gives her away.

"Okay, awesome,"Lennon chuckles at her excitement. He runs his fingers through his brown curls and then shakes them a bit to position them back in place. "I was thinking about inviting some of my other friends too. Like Matt and and Courtney and my friend Allison."

"Oh..."

She cringes as she realizes that it left her mouth. She meant to keep that in her mind, but apparently the universe (that hates her) has other evil plans.