The Infuriating Unfairness of Life

^"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac has a lot of meaning to this chapter, so please feel free to listen to it while reading

Lennon: 32
Nora: 32
Hugh: 9
Twins: 4
Hazel: 5 months

TRIGGER WARNING: In depth depiction of death!! Please do not read if that will be triggering for you!!

April 21 2046

2:00 am

There are few things in life that you never forget.

There are few things that forever haunt you.

There are few things that make you want to vomit whenever you think of them.

Heart-sinking and stomach churning moments that lead to heart-sinking and stomach churning days that turn into nights that turn into weeks and months and years and—lifetimes. Moments that turn into lifetimes.

And that alarm, that fucking ear piercing stomach churning alarm leaves Nora and Lennon with a lifetime of physical and emotional hell.

A lifetime of wishing that their lifetimes were a bit shorter.

It's high pitched and searing into his ears creating an uncomfortable ringing. It's supposed to be uncomfortable. It's supposed to wake people up. And it sure as hell does it's job.

And even in his groggy state of mind, it makes his heart physically stop. And with that stop, he's matching his baby girl for one last time.

He comes to his senses enough to recognize where the sound is coming from. Oh hell. It's the breathing monitor that is placed on their baby girl's foot. A monitor they've used for all of their kids that Darcy recommended to them that keeps track of their breathing and pulse throughout the night to awake parents if there's anything wrong.

But there's never been anything wrong. The alarm's never gone off.

Until now.

He jumps out of the bed, throwing back the offensive covers in a haste he's never felt before.

The adrenaline— he's never felt anything like it. Even years later he's unable to explain the feeling rushing through his blood. The fear—it's unimaginable. It's unexplainable. It's something you don't want to explain because you don't want anyone on this earth to understand that feeling.

He bolts towards his baby girl's bassinet on Nora's side of the bed, his heart that was once stilled now beating out of his chest with his breaths coming in quick pants.

His baby girl. His precious little fourteen pound baby girl. His little girl who has the most delicate features he's ever seen. His little girl who just learned how to giggle twelve hours earlier. His little girl who is just the most smiley baby of all time. His little girl.

His little girl is blue.

And his little girl—she's cold.

She's fucking cold and blue and he can't move.

"NORA!"

His voice is unlike anything she's ever heard before. The rasp, the tears, the pure fear—it's unlike anyone can describe until you're in a moment like that.

Until your baby is blue.

"What? What?"Nora groggily asks, the beeping noise didn't wake her, she was always a heavy sleeper. It's only after being awake from a few seconds that she notices the ear piercing alarm. And then she looks at Lennon's shaking hands and sees something no mother should ever see. Her little girl is completely lifeless and floppy in her husband's shaking hands.