The Ups and Downs of New Parenting

Harry: 42
Camryn: 42

Josh: 27
Darcy: 25

Lennon: 22
Nora: 22

Auggie: 21
Emryn: 26

Bowie: 20
Morgan: 19

Calum: 18

Bindi: 16
Acacia: 16

Grandkids

Penny: 6 (DARCY)
Via: 4 (DARCY)
Hugh: Age fluctuates throughout chapter so look at heading of scenes :) (LENNON)

The fact that I have to start differentiating with parentheses which kids the grandkids belong to😭😭MY HEARTTTT

AND ITS JUST GOING TO KEEP GROWING

June 19 2036 (the morning after Hugh's birth)

"How're you two doin' back there?"Lennon asks with a big smile, looking in the rearview mirror and watching as Nora leans over Hugh's carseat in the back seat of the car, wiping the little corners of his mouth with a burp cloth as he peacefully sleeps, his huge cheeks resting on the straps of the carseat.

"Good,"Nora hums, furrowing her brows as she tries to rub off a dried up droplet of milk on the corner of Hugh's mouth. "Can you go slower? I don't want to get in an accident."

"I'm already going 15 below the speed limit, baby,"Lennon chuckles, letting up on the gas to try and ease Nora's worries. "Don't worry, I won't get into an accident."

"I just don't want him to get hurt,"Nora rasps, her voice almost completely dead from labor, especially the final hours. She reaches to pull up the little blanket laying across Hugh to rest right below his little chin. "Do you think he's too cold?"

"It's summer, sweetheart, I don't think he's cold,"Lennon smirks, resting one elbow on the windowsill and putting his cheek in his palm. "I think he's just fine. Is he still sleeping?"

"Yeah,"Nora grins, rubbing a gentle fingertip over Hugh's chubby cheek. "I should make sure he's still breathing..."she picks up the little blanket to check his chest that's rising and falling rhythmically. "Okay, he's still breathing."

"Lovey, he's fine,"Lennon chuckles, looking at Nora through the rearview mirror with the biggest lovey eyes of all time. Watching her fawn and worry over their little baby is just about the cutest thing he's ever seen. "He passed all of his tests, and he's completely healthy."

"I'm just worried,"Nora murmurs with a sigh, resting her arm across Hugh's carseat and resting her head back against the headrest. "I've never been this anxious before...it's just...it's all on us now, you know?"

"Yeah, it is a bit scary, huh?"Lennon agrees, making sure to stop extra long at the stop sign to make sure he doesn't get chastised by Nora again who didn't think he stopped long enough at the last stop sign. "But we've got this, babe. Everyone else survives new parenting. We'll learn together."

"Do you think he's hungry?"Nora frets again, looking down at Hugh who's still peacefully asleep in his carseat.

"He'd be crying if he was,"Lennon responds, sniffling a yawn with the back of his hand because of how little sleep he's gotten in the past two days. They were up almost all night last night between Hugh feeding, and well, neither of them wanted to put him down, so while Nora got a bit of sleep between feeds, Lennon stayed up in the recliner cuddling with Hugh and talking to him.

He's waited 22 years for this baby boy, and he's not about to let one moment go by where he's not spending time with him.

"Besides, you just fed him before we left the hospital, baby,"Lennon replies, watching as Nora leans down to comb back Hugh's brown hair with her fingers.