Finding Love in a Hospital

Lennon: 34
Nora: 34
Hugh: 11
Twins: 5

October 29th 2047

Normally he gets a hint of innocence bright and early when he first wakes up. A blissful moment before he remembers what his life is now.

He cherishes that one second every morning, it's the only thing that allows him to wake up because for one second a day, everything is okay. For one second a day he doesn't have to hesitate when a stranger tries to make small talk with him and asks him how many kids he has. For one second a day he still has four children. For one second a day his baby girl is still here and he gets to look forward to going into her nursery and love on her.

And then that one second goes away.

And he's reminded of the life he has to live now and forevermore. A life of constantly stuttering when he's asked how many kids he has. A life of not being able to get his baby girl out of her nursery. A life of waiting until the day he can be reunited with her.

He doesn't get that one second of innocence today, however. He knew he wouldn't. Last year was so hard for him to get through that he ended up puking in their bathroom as soon as he finally was able to stand on his own two feet.

Nora couldn't even make it out of bed that day, not that he blames her. He took the boys by himself to her grave and they gave her little presents that each of them had bought, haphazardly wrapped. They had a tiny cake that they ordered the previous day, pink with white polka dots that had her name written on the top of it.

Just the sight of it brought a panic attack onto Nora and Hugh broke down crying when he saw it, but Lennon and the three boys were able to eat it while sitting near her grave.

He thought it might be easier this year, but it's not. He supposes it will never be easy.

No parent should ever have to celebrate their child's birthday without them. Especially when that child should only be two.

Him and Nora knew that they had to do something different this year, however, because they didn't want her birthday to be masked by pure sadness for the boys. They wanted it to be a day of remembrance and love instead of one that the little boys dreaded because they knew it was a day that made their parents sad. So, they decided that this year they would use her birthday to honor her.

They got the little boys involved as well as they made little goodie bags for kids in the hospital that Hazel passed away in. They filled the bags with coloring books, stuffed animals and a few treats to hopefully bring some joy to other kids' faces in memory of Hazel.

They can't be with their little girl on her birthday and bring joy to her, but they can be with other kids who desperately need love and bring joy to them, so that's what they decided to do.

He opens his eyes and they fall upon Nora who is still curled up next to him. She must've gotten cold in the night, she's always cold, but it gets especially bad as the weather gets chillier. Her legs are entangled in Lennon's and her face is buried against his chest, her hands creating a barrier against her cheek and his chest. It's the same way she's slept since they were seventeen years old, and it's never ceased to make Lennon melt.

He gently reaches his hand up that was resting against Nora's hip and puts it into the hair that's just above Nora's ear, gently combing through it and tucking it behind her ear.

He sometimes wishes that they wouldn't have named their title girl after a word that's so tied to their family. The twins both have hazel hair and hazel eyes and Nora does as well which causes some painful reminders anytime it's thought about or mentioned in conversation.