ii. i (the disappearance)

mike's POV

"when was the last time you saw will byers, michael?" the tall detective leans on the cold metal table toward me, creating a sort of fake intimacy. 

i sigh and try to focus, really try to concentrate. 

"i don't know, maybe 5 months ago." 

he nods and i watch as his dull number-two pencil scribbles against his notepad. he looks dissatisfied and unsure and avoids eye contact with me as he looks up from his notes.

he glances toward the left side of the room where there is a one-way glass window. he gives a slight nod that i probably would've missed if all my senses hadn't been heightened recently. suddenly, he pushes back his chair and starts for the door, silently. 

he's definitely a weird guy. 

i lay down my head in my arms and try to pretend i'm somewhere else. i try to imagine i'm in the mountains somewhere, sitting in a cabin in an oversized chair near a fireplace with a roaring fire. there's a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and i'm holding a mug full of hot chocolate, the kind with the tiny marshmallows inside. they always seem to float to the bottom of the cup but they always make a nice surprise when you've finished drinking. will is there next to me, curled up against me, head on my shoulder and arms wrapped around my waist. i can almost smell his hair and feel the heat of his body.

will. 

"good morning, michael. my name is detective schuber and i just have a few more questions then you can go ahead and enjoy the rest of your day." he smiles a smile so big i think his cheeks might pop. 

politely, i offer a smile and greet him, "of course. anything to help."

the words feel stale in my mouth. empty, an empty promise.

"what were you doing the last time you encountered will byers?" he asks, leaning back in the chair, arms crossed, eyebrows raised. 

i notice the lack of a notepad this time which surprises me. i wonder if this session is being recorded or something and if it is, why this session is different from the ones before. 

"well, it was all of us that night. will, he came over for a sleepover and-"

"all of us?" he interjects.

"me, eleven, dustin, lucas, and max." 

he nods in understanding.

"-and in the morning he seemed a little off and then he left." 

"what happened the night before?"

"oh, the night before? why do you ask?" i question timidly.

none of the detectives have asked about that, yet. none of them have asked for details about that night. they all seem to want to know one thing: where did will go after he left my house?

"well, michael, if will was acting off, something must have happened the night before to affect him in such a way. so, tell me, what happened the night of september 18th?"

"nothing. just-" i pause, contemplating telling the truth or a lie.

"just what?"

"how is this relevant to the case?" i ask abruptly, feeling my heartbeat race at the interrogation. 

"if we know why will was acting weird, what he might've been thinking about or doing beforehand, it could give us some ideas about where he ended up or what his plans were after he left. do you see how this could be useful information? now, tell me what happened the night before will disappeared." 

i sigh, "will and i confessed our feelings for each other." 

the room is dead silent after that. clearly, i had thrown the detective off because he sits across from me speechless, his lips parted slightly, looking dumbfounded. 

"so, you're a homosexual." he tilts his head to look at me, as if i'm an exhibit in a showcase. 

"no. i am bisexual. will-he's homosexual. but, me, i'm bisexual." i clarify.

"fascinating! there's our probable cause!" he smiles, banging his fists on the table in exclamation. 

"excuse me?" i fold my arms, totally taken back by this declaration. 

"he was clearly so appalled by your confession, michael, that he ran away. well, of course, he did. it's what any sane person might do in a situation like that."

i shake my head. 

no, there's no way that's true. will loves me, something must've happened. he didn't just run away.

"well, michael, thank you for your time, you have been most helpful." the detective smiles brightly, standing from the chair. 

i stand, too, really not sure what to do. do i argue? do i just let it go and leave? what's the right move?

"respectfully, sir, i don't believe i'm the reason will's gone and i don't believe he ran away." i say boldly.

"what do you think happened?" he walks toward the door and puts hand on the doorknob. 

he knows i'm not going to answer. he knows because every other time i've been asked that question i have the same response: "i don't know what happened to will byers on the 19th of september, 1986." 

************************************************

Hey guys!

It's great to be writing again. I recently graduated and have been working two jobs so I've been busy! But, I've recently been inspired to write again. He's the plot twist none of you were expecting hehe.  The next chapter will be out soon, this is just kinda a teaser for part two of the book.

Much Love,

Sava