ii.v.(the bracelet)

"so, we'll go there tomorrow." max says, her voice kind of matter-of-fact-like.

by now, the sun has set, the ground is probably still wet from the rain, and it's definitely more than a little dangerous for four teenagers to be out alone at...what time is it?

"why not go tonight? we haven't had any clues this far, aren't you guys a little excited? this could be it, our chance to find will! right, mike?" lucas suggests.

i immediately look at him, relief and appreciation spread across my face.

thank god someone said it.

"yes, tonight. i think we could-"

"now, wait a minute. it's late and it's dark and i don't know if you've considered this, but we're not prepared to make what may turn into a weeks-long adventure tonight. i think we should just get some sleep, prepare in the morning, gather food and whatever other supplies we may need, and head out in the afternoon before dark." max says.

it's a good point. i really hadn't considered that we might be gone more than a couple of days. who knows how long we might be gone?

"i agree with max. we all need some rest, the next couple of days are going to be challenging." el chimes in.

we're all still sitting in the circle, the map kind of lingering toward the middle. we've been down here, just trying to decide what's next for nearly an hour. but, that's one more hour closer to seeing will, kissing him, holding him.

"what do you guys think?"

"sure, we'll go tomorrow." i smile, the thought of seeing him again warming my heart from the inside out.

i haven't even thought about the possibility of us not finding him, or worse, finding him dead.

"hey guys?"

"yeah, mike?" lucas asks.

"what if we- what if we can't find him?"

they all visibly frown, clearly having not really considered it either.

"well," max begins but stops.

"i suppose then we would..." el trails off.

"we'll find him, mike." lucas reassures, placing a hand on my shoulder. i offer a small smile.

"we will find him." he says more firmly and i nod.

maybe he's right. i shouldn't be thinking like that. we're going to find him.

********************************

"are you sure this is enough?" i ask as max is loading up the last bike.

we've all packed our bikes full of supplies, everything from food to medical supplies, and it's enough to last us about a month.

steve and dustin are going to meet us on the illinois/missouri border with more supplies and (more importantly) steve's car.

"this should be enough at least until we meet at the border. it shouldn't take us more than a couple weeks to get there at the very most. even if we only ride 4 hours a day, it should only take us 6 days to get there. i think we'll be okay. besides, we'll have nancy and jonathan on standby if something goes wrong." max reasons, hands on her hips, and a look somewhere between smug and proud on her face.

she's really thought of everything.

"are we ready to go?" el asks, appearing from behind the redhead with one of the emergency backpacks on her back.

"as soon as lucas is done, we should be all set."

"what's he doing?" el asks.

"he insisted he had to finish doing something, I'm not quite sure-"

"i'm here! i'm here guys, sorry i'm late." lucas exclaims, a little sweaty and out of breath, some small box clad in his hand.

"what's that?" i ask, crossing my arms.

has he really spent all this time just looking for this goddamn-

"it's for you." my eyes are wide as lucas hands me the box. i take it and begin examing it.

the box is white, a sort of pleather feel to it, with a red box wrapped tightly around it.

"i was there when he bought it, i know he would want you to have it." lucas smiles, watching as i begin unwrapping the bow.

"this is from will?"

"for your birthday."

my birthday? oh shit, it is my birthday! i guess i got so caught up in this that i totally forgot.

i open the box and there's a messy signature on the inside of the top, will's signature, followed by a short note saying happy birthday along with a small satin bag.

i slowly open the bag, unsure what to expect. he must've bought this months ago before he and i even confessed our feelings to each other.

inside is a bracelet, a gold bracelet. i bring it out of the bag to see it more closely.

in small engraving, there's two letters: m and w.

at first, i thought it might be my initials, but after seeing the impossibly small '&' sign between them, i know it must mean mike and will.

it's us.

it's us and it's perfect.

"he wasn't sure at first if he should put the '&', but i talked him into it. he was so excited to give it to you. he picked it out last may."

i hold the bracelet in my hand, looping it over my middle finger. i've never worn anything this small, this dainty.

i'm quick to loosen the latch and put it on and i smile when it's finally on my wrist.

"it's beautiful." i feel myself begin to get emotional.

pull it together, wheeler. don't cry.

my body doesn't listen to my inner monologue, a tear falls down my cheek.

"what's wrong, mike?" el and max turn from their conversation.

i hold out my wrist for them to see.

they smile when they see the engraving on it.

"aw, mike! that's gorgeous!" el exclaims, throwing her arms around my shoulders.

"we're so happy for you." max joins in, wrapping her arms around the two of us.

"now, let's go find your man!" lucas hops on his bike, a confident smile on his face.

the girls and i quickly join him and we begin our adventure.