vii (hot chocolate)

it's a quarter past midnight when the girls finally send mike downstairs. 

"i can do this. yes, i can do this." mike mutters under his breath. he's been trying to convince himself of this for the past hour and no matter how hard he wants to believe it, he just can't convince himself. 

before long, mike finds himself in the kitchen, in front of the refrigerator. 

he decided to make something he knows will is always in the mood for, hot chocolate. 

mike has always found it odd about the boy. the way he will always, despite the temperature, indulge in a steaming cup of hot chocolate. will has done this ever since they were kids. he remembers once in third grade when mike spent the week at the byers' house and will literally had a cup of hot chocolate everyday and it was the middle of may!

mike grabs the milk from the fridge and sets it on the counter. then, he searches for the hot chocolate mix with marshmallows, just like will likes it. he heats the milk before putting in the mix, creating the drink.

mike hops onto the counter and sips the drink. he's careful not to finish it, only taking tiny sips. 

it's been a couple of minutes now since he finished making the hot chocolate. 

"this is stupid. i can't believe max convinced me to do this." 

"mike?"

mike looks up from his lap, cheeks red and hair messy. 

"oh, um, hey." he goes off script, totally forgetting to try to be flirty.

"what are you doing down here?" will asks, folding his arms across his chest.

"i couldn't sleep. i-want some?" mike asks, holding out the cup towards will.

so much for being flirty.

will giggles and walks closer to mike, leaning against the counter. 

he takes the cup from mike, letting their pinkies touch momentarily.

mike watches as will brings the cup to his lips. 

"mm, hot chocolate? since when did you start drinking this?" 

"it's really good between the hours of midnight and 2 AM." mike smiles, taking the cup back from will. 

there isn't much left in the cup now. 

"how's it going in the basement?" mike takes a sip, enjoying the intimacy of sharing a cup with will. 

"oh, it's going alright." will chuckles, taking the cup once again. 

he drinks and mike chuckles too. 

"things aren't going well?"

will shakes his head. 

"i mean i wouldn't say they aren't going well. we aren't fighting or anything, but dustin, lucas, and i don't really go well together by ourselves. i feel like a third wheel. they're such boys and i'm just not like them, ya know?" 

"i know. i think i would feel the same way if it was me with them. but, between us, i think they're the weird ones. you and i, we're perfectly normal." mike grins and hops off of the counter. 

will smiles, taking the last sip of the hot chocolate. he watches as mike makes his way to the bottom of the stairs, taking a seat on the step, will sits next to him.

"how is it going with the girls?" will asks, trying to disguise the butterflies in his stomach that he feels because of how close the two are sitting. 

mike nods and giggles, "they're good. they really understand me. i feel like i can just be myself." 

will shifts, causing the two to sit closer to one another, whether that was will's intention or not.

"sounds like upstairs is the ideal place to be." will comments, staring in front of him at nothing in particular. 

"yeah." mike mumbles, unsure of how to deliver the next line. he knows he has to get this show on the road, it's already almost 1 AM. 

there's a pause of silence. but, it's comfortable. their bodies are touching, their breathing is almost synced, their hearts are racing. it's a welcome silence. 

"come upstairs with me. we're not going to sleep yet." mike says quickly, turning to face will.

will faces mike, too. their eyes meet, will's wide brown eyes say everything he can't verbalize. 

***

"guys, i'm back." mike calls to the girls once he enters the room.

max climbs over the railing of the top bunk to greet them, el following closely behind. 

"oh, well, will, isn't this a surprise." max smiles, her blue eyes shimmering.

"hey guys, i'm sorry to barge in." will explains, folding his arms once again.

el shakes her head, "there is no barging, will. we are all friends." 

will smiles at her, uncrossing his arms, suddenly feeling a lot more comfortable than he had in the basement. 

"el, will you come with me downstairs? i think i forgot something." 

"sure. bye will, bye mike!" and the girls are out of the door. 

_____________________________________________________

Hey guys!

Sorry for another short chapter. The next one should be coming soon! 

Lots of Love,

Sava