Chapter 2

Song: Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Paul Anka)

RORY'S POV

Driving down The main street of Forks was like a shot of Nostalgia as I looked at the little girl Buckled into the Passenger seat beside me. The makeshift radio in the old truck sounded out Elvis Presley as my hand tapped lightly to the beat on the steering wheel.

It was at that moment that I realized I had been here before. Only last time it was me in Maxi's position and my dad in mine.

We would drive through town in this very truck blasting his music as I sat buckled into the passenger seat of the car.

It was one of the few memories of my childhood that I actually liked.

"Aunt Roro?" Maxi's little voice sounded beside me.

"What's up Max?" I responded keeping my eyes on the road. From my peripheral vision, I watched the little girl put on her thinking face. She would scrunch up her eyebrows and pucker up her lips so she looked like somewhat of an angry duckling and I had to admit, it was precious.

"Will your Uncle Charlie like me?"

"Max, don't think like that ok? My mom doesn't like anyone and she's a wicked old bat. But Uncle Charlie was my dad's brother and I promise he'll love you. Anyone with eyes would be stupid not to love you." I stopped her before she could think any further.

Maxi was a really smart girl. For the most part, because me and Jennifer were always honest with her when we talked to her or answered her questions. And to be fair, she had been raised attending MMA fights so it wasn't like she was protected from the darker side of society. That being said, she would sometimes think so hard on something that she would get a headache and as cute as it was. I hated seeing her in pain so I would do my best to keep things simple around her.

"Ok." Maxi smiled dropping the topic as we reared onto my uncle's street.

When I pulled into the parking lot I found a very depressing image of Bella sitting on a chair on the porch, her eyes never leaving the forest even as my rather loud engine revved.

Charlie on the other hand looked at the Truck longingly. It was after all his brother's Truck. As I got out with Maxi he looked up at me with a sad smile.

"1969 Ford F-250 Highboy in Navy Blue. Your Father loved that truck."

I looked at him empathetically as he let his hand glide over the trunk. "Leslie wanted to sell it but I couldn't let her take Bessy from me. She's family." Charlie grimaced at the mention of Leslie's name but brushed it aside as he pulled me into a hug.

"I missed you, Rebel. How've things been in California?"

"Well Chief, you could assume by me being kicked out for a year that they haven't been great." I deadpanned as his eyes apologized with a slight twinkle from hearing my nickname for him. "But I've got Maxi to keep me company and now Bella so I'll be fine." I smiled before letting Charlie and Maxi have a moment as a made my way over to Bella.

Looking back I saw exactly what I expected which was Charlie falling into the trap that was Maxi Garcia.

"Hey, Bella." I cooed to my cousin as she stood softly.

"Hey." Her voice was harsh like she either hadn't used it in weeks or had been using it way too much. Without much thought, I pulled her into a hug, and to my pleasant surprise, she accepted it in full. We stood there for a while before pulling back and sitting down on the two chairs

"I'm here no, ok? I know chief can be hard to talk to but by the sounds of it I'll be moving into your attic so if you ever need something, just holler." I could tell she was a little too drained for socializing so I began to help my Uncle bring things up to the Attic.

We carried up the boxes packed into the back of my truck until everything was now piled into the middle of the large room.

"Here's that paint you asked for by the way." He passed over a bucket of off-white which I took graciously.

"Do you think I could start this now? Maybe Maxi and I could sleep in the guest room until the paint dries?" He nodded in approval before moving the boxes to be less in our way as I started preparing the paint.

***

"Rory Rebel?" Charlie asked as the 4 of us sat in the living room with my Playbacks going on screen.

"Well, what? Did you expect me to try and start a career in MMA with a name like Aurora Swan? In Cali, the name 'Swan' is way too well know and my name just didn't have that ring to it." Charlie chuckled as I continued. "Besides... It makes me feel like a superhero. Peter Parker, Billy Batson, Wade Wilson, and now Rory Rebel."

This time most of the room laughed before falling back into a comfortable silence. It was once again Charlie, however, who broke it.

"You know... You're really good... and I know your mom doesn't want you to continue this fighting gig, but you seem happy so... Tomorrow, I'll go get you a gym membership." I looked up at him in utter shock as he rambled on. "It's not some high-class gym or anything but they have a ring, and I'm sure having you there would get the customers flowing in nicely."

Before he could get out another word, I threw my arms around him, Mumbling little thank yous to him as he accepted my embrace until I let go.

Leslie said I would regret moving here. But so far I really couldn't find a negative.

***

"I think I like it here," Maxi mumbled as I got into the guest bed with her.

"Me too, Max," I whispered as a gave her forehead a kiss.

"Could you Sing me a song?" She asked me quietly before closing her eyes. I knew I didn't need to answer as I got comfortable and began to sing. Happy that Maxi was accepting it here.

"Put your head on my shoulder.

Hold me in your arms.

Baby.

Squeeze my oh so tight.

Show me that you love me too."

***

Hey People...

Do me a favour and like, rate, and comment on the story if you like it.

Specifically comment, just cause I honestly love reading the comments on my own work. They always make me laugh or smile and help me better understand what you guys do and don't like in the book. 

thanks.

<3