Chapter 31

Song: Cry (Johnnie Ray)

RORY'S POV

why was this happening now?

I didn't want this.

I wanted to go back

But looking behind me I could only watch with tears in my eyes as Forks slowly faded into the distance.

"Don't look back love, your future is in California, with me."

***
(Hours earlier)

"So, you bought a house?" I looked at Jennifer with a toothy grin.

"Well, Maxi loves it here, and during the trips I take for work, I know that there's a huge group of people who could happily watch her here." She smiled back. "And hopefully you'll be here to stay soon too."

Instantly I felt a weight fall over me as I looked at the date. As of today in early October, it had been a year since I first came here, which meant Leslie would be showing up any day now and we still hadn't figured out a single thing about how we could possibly stop this wedding.

Paul who was on the opposite side of me noticed my change in mood and quickly wrapped his arms securely around me. "Don't worry Rebel, It's all gonna be alright." He soothed

"Let's have a party tonight," I suggested out of the blue. Paul only looked at me quizzically.

"Like, what type of Party?" He asked

"I don't know, maybe a house warming party for The new place?" I looked at Jennifer who gave me an enthusiastic nod.

"Hell yeah, let's do it."

And with that, we began the thirty-minute process it took to decorate, prepare, and invite people until finally The party was set.

The night went great. We had a huge Barbeque and wasted the night away between Jokes and Storys alike. The kids ran around like maniacs, me close in tow, and The elders told stories while everyone else listened or had their own little conversations.

Me and Paul destroyed Jacob and Jasmine in a game of football while Emily and Sam merely laughed at us and Jennifer took people through tours of her house while entertaining her guests. It was great straight to the end of the night when we all finally started filling out.

"That was fun." Paul voiced from the driver's seat of his truck as he drove me back to Charlie's house.

"Ya, it really was," I responded but there was this feeling in the pit of my stomach that just kept telling me something would go bad. The idea in itself was not one I liked to think about but it wasn't going away.

"Rory... Rory!" Paul calling my name brought my attention back to him as I looked up from my lap.

"Oh, uh... sorry. I got lost in my thoughts I guess." I shook my head with a nervous laugh, but Paul only looked at me concerned.

"Are you alright?" His voice was soft as though not to scare me as I smiled again. But he knew it was fake just as much as I did.

"Paul, I'm fine. I think I'm just a little tired after that party. Don't worry about me ok?" I put my hand reassuringly on his shoulder which seemed to calm his nerves as we pulled into Charlie's driveway.

"Alright, Alright." He gave me a quick peck on the lips before I began to get out of the car.

Slowly I made my way to the house before hearing the car door open again which made me spin around.

"I love you!"

The words flowed so easily from Paul as he leaned against his open car door, his eyes meeting mine with a grin. I took a moment to look down at my shoes. A small smile beginning to grace my face.

"I love you too!" I called back.

Honestly, I thought our confession would be a much bigger deal but it felt so natural. Easier than any TV show portrayed it as. Paul got in his car, and I walked into the house, and just like that, the moment ended under the night sky. Yet this feeling still remained like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

That night I slept peacefully, completely unaware of the storm headed my way.

**

The morning air felt thick as I took my look around the familiar room. Maxi was waking up from her slumber just across from me and streams of sunlight flashed through the window. Yet for some reason, the entire house felt dark. Even as me and Maxi drifted down to the main floor. This eerie feeling never left. I pondered ideas of what it could possibly be until the kitchen revealed itself and just like that I knew exactly what it was.

"Leslie." I addressed the presence of my mother sitting in the dining room as my uncle awkwardly shifted in the kitchen.

"Ah, Aurora. You remember Eric Dalton?" Her hand gestured towards a boy about my age whose eyes had yet to leave my figure.

"Eyes up here buddy." I shot him a glare to which he only smirked in response.

"Well, that's no way to speak with your fiance, my love." This sickly British accent echoed through the room making my glare harden even further but still, I knew exactly what was happening.

"Go pack your things, we're leaving now." Leslies demanded. "Charlie, help her out."

Charlie only sighed before leading me back up the stairs. And silently we began packing. As we did I wrote A few things down and put them in envelopes tightly sealed.

"You're all packed- what are those?" He looked in my hand.

"Ones for you, ones for Paul, and Ones for Ray. don't open them until I've left. And make sure they all get to their respective people." I handed him the Three envelopes to which he cautiously accepted. "Also, Jennifer will be over in a bit to pick up Maxi. Her room is already set up at the new house."

"What? No, I wanna go with you." Maxi protested but I Only hugged her quickly.

"This is something I have to do on my own Max. But don't worry ok? Your my whole world and that'll never change. No matter what happens you will always have your aunt Roro."

Maxi hugged me relentlessly until finally, it was time for me to go.

"There's a car outside. bring the stuff you need." Leslie was brief with me but never met my eyes, her head remaining oddly high until she left for her own car, leaving me and the brit to our own devices on the porch.

Charlie looked at me concerned to which I only returned with a comment.

"Don't Let the sun catch you crying, Cheif."

It was a code we created between the two of us after Harry's death. A way of portraying our emotions to each other since we weren't the best at doing it otherwise. It could translate into a lot of different things, but this time quite simply, it meant 'I'll be back.

Something that seemed to calm Charlie's nerves as I climbed into the car awaiting me. This was simply how things needed to be but that didn't mean I wouldn't make it as difficult as possible for everyone else.

I tried turning my head to lo back at forks but It only got further and further away, Which brings us to the present.

"Don't look back love, your future is in California, with me."

Eric was clearly milking this entire experience. He looked like a child on Christmas morning and acted like one that always got his way.

and that wouldn't slide on my watch.

"take that attitude and stick up your ass, Dalton. I'm sure there's plenty of space up there with all the dicks you've sat on."

His jaw dropped at my comment but nonetheless, he shut up for the rest of the trip.

The trip back to a place I call hell.

***

I feel like these chapters are slowly getting worse but I'm running low on ✨motivation✨

So, happy summer and enjoy.