Chapter 18

Song: Outside My Window (The Fleetwoods)

JENNIFER'S POV

I had known Rory for years.

Quite literally I was hired by her father when she was 12 and we became quick friends. She had even been the first person to visit me in the hospital after giving birth.

However, after her dad died, she changed. And I hated it because her happiness had been stripped from her.

It's why I was so supportive of her MMA career. She had a vent for her anger, and she was happier. Not nearly as happy as she was with her dad around, but she was smiling again.

Then her mother Leslie got involved and suddenly all the progress she had gained over a 3-year career was lost.

But here I was, In March, watching her after being sent here only 7 months ago. And never had I seen her so happy in my life.

She was sitting there, surrounded by the boys, telling a story about god knows what with paul. And yet everything she did seemed lighter than before.

Finally, she was home.

But alas, I had to bring up my reason for being here at some point.

"Rory, there's actually a reason I'm here."

"What's up?" Rory questioned as everyone tuned in.

"well. It's already March. Which means, you have 6 months to figure out how to stop that arranged wedding."

The room went oddly quiet and suddenly it clicked.

She hadn't told them yet.

Well more specifically by the way her eyes widened and expression changed, it seemed like she herself had forgotten.

Suddenly Paul, the boy with who Rory seemed oddly close stood and ran out the door in a hurry.

"Paul!" Rory went to chase after him into the night. Everyone else had remained frozen in place as I looked around.

"I- I'm sorry I thought she would have told you...  Actually, I thought she would have remembered."

"What do you mean arranged marriage?" Emily suddenly asked with concern.

So I told them about everything. from her father's death to Eric Dalton, her fiancé by arrangement and her wretched mother Leslie, who was only really her mother by blood.

Meanwhile, my top concern was where those two had ended up so late at night.

***

PAUL'S POV

she's engaged.

to be married.

to another man.

The thought plagued my mind in every which way until finally, it consumed me.

I ran through the forest aimlessly but I didn't shift, I couldn't, I wouldn't because if I did they would know where I was.

Once I reached an unfamiliar clearing, I just began throwing punches at anything that would take them. Trees, Rocks, the ground, it didn't matter so long as my fists made contact with something.

My knuckles were bleeding but I didn't care.

She didn't deserve this.

Him.

Me.

She was stuck with me as an imprint and it made me mad because I didn't deserve a woman like her.