Chapter 19

Song: Lonesome Town (Ricky Nelson)

HARRY'S POV

"I'm telling you, Paul, Roronoa Zoro is one of if not the best character in One Piece."

"Bro You're so dumb. Sanji is better. He even has a higher bounty."

"And that's absolute Bullshit if you ask me."

Listening to Rory and Paul argue in Emily's living room was pretty entertaining although it seemed only a select few actually knew what they were talking about. Regardless, it made me remember having arguments just like that with Rory's own father, Joseph.

Eventually, Paul was called out for Patrol leaving their conversation on Pause as Rory waved him out.

"I'd never guess that you two were imprints." I laughed as The blond looked over at me and flashed me a dazzling smile. For a moment I was actually taken back by the sheer resemblance between her and her father but it was nice to finally have a reminder of the old man around. After all, Joseph and Charlie may have been twins, but besides their mustaches, the two had nothing in common.

"Ya, I don't know what the gods were thinking putting two hotheads together like that." Rory joked as I sat beside her.

"Ya, your dad was quite the hothead himself." Rory turned her head to me fully this time with shock.

"You... you knew my old man?"

"Ya, he was my best friend. Actually, I'm pretty sure he put me down as your godfather on your birth certificate. I still have the first photo of you he sent to me." I smiled softly at the girl.

"No way. That's awesome!" She declared joyfully as Maxi ran over to me. Picking her up, I placed her on my knee as her aunt rembled on about her dad. I was so happy that she thought so highly of her father because he deserved every word. In my opinion, his only mistake was marrying Leslie but If it brought the girl in front of me into the world, I really couldn't complain.

"So then, you picked up on a bunch of your old man's habits and hobbies ay?"

"Hell ya. Ray Charles fangirl born and raised." Rory laughed back as we talked.

"Is that so? He sings one of my personal favourites."

"Oh really? Which one. personally, I'm a 'come rain or come shine' type of girl."

"I loved 'don't let the sun catch you cryin'. It's just always been a great spin-off of the original. However, I don't think even he could top the original version."

"You make a fair point." She started before turning to me. "Actually the original is one of Maxi's favourite lullaby songs. I sing it to her sometimes."

"then you're gonna need to make me a promise and sing it for me one of these days. Your dad's voice was simply awful and I've waited for the day an actual performance comes out of the Swan family."

We shared a laugh before continuing on about everything and anything, our conversation reaching so far into the night, Rory ended up sleeping over at Emily's. But still, we never ran out of things to talk about.

Day after day the two of us talked more and more and I had to admit, she was quickly becoming a very close friend of mine, She and her dad were the same this way. They always found a way of getting into people's lives and just having this positive effect. their smile was contagious and their laugh wholesome.

It was like a drug just being in the presence of the girl.

And I was quickly becoming very protective of her as my best friend's daughter.

She was much like my own daughter, Leah. Aggressive, hard-headed and not very feminine but still lovable and I wanted the two to meet but Leah, being stubborn, refused to meet anyone who hung out with her Ex, Sam. If only she knew the truth.

Regardless, I knew the two would get along. For the most part, because I had caught Leah watching Rory's fights while the woman was still in MMA, but also because I had a feeling Rory wouldn't take kindly to Leah's attitude and would straighten her out.

***

"Ray it's good to see you," I called out to the slightly younger man standing by the entrance of the gym.

"Alright Harry, I'm gonna head in but thanks for giving me a drive. I just hope my truck will be ready for pick up soon. I still can't believe that damn engine broke." Rory rambled as she entered the gym with a fist bump from Ray.

"Harry, how you been holding up?"

"Clearly not as good as you." I joked at the taller man who laughed alongside me.

"Well, I have to admit, having that Ray of sunshine around has made my job a lot easier." Ray referred to Rory who we watched from the window.

"Ya, do you know which one of us was marked down as her godfather?" I asked

"Knowing that old bastard, He probably put us both down." Ray smiled at the memories the trio had.

"We'll protect her for him." I looked up with a grin. "I think he knew we'd both love her like our own anyway."

"She is one of our own. regardless of her blood." Ray corrected me.

And with that, we watched silently at the girl who reminded us both so much of our old friend.

'We'll keep your girl safe Joe, you just rest.' I thought as the girl smiled with her class.

She really was something else.

***

It had been mere weeks since that thought.

And now here I sat, in the forest. with a striking pain in my heart.

I could feel my time approaching as my breath came to a stop.

But even as death itself crept up on me, all I could think were of the four people I had grown to care most about in this world who I'd be leaving behind.

Sue.

Leah.

Seth.

Aurora.

Please forgive me for leaving so soon.

***
Sorry I just checked this story's stats and bro wtf?

@YallImweirdddd20
@AmeliaAirey
@carmen_sanchez_19

And anyone else who has taken a chance with this book I gotta say thank you.

I know voting, commenting, and liking chapters seems sorta useless but seeing those notifications as the author
MAKES. MY. DAY.

You guys are great and I hope you know that

<3