Chapter 30

Song: I've Got a Crush on You (Ella Fitzgerald)

PAUL'S POV

In early July, Just after Renesme's birth, I finally got to take Rory on a proper date.

We decided to go bowling in Port Angeles and I can't say I was too pleased with the fact that I got Destroyed by her. But her smile after was enough to make me feel better. We also went to a famous burger joint in town where we talked for hours until finally, I got to take her up to a cliff overlooking all of Port Angeles where we watch the sunset together.

And of course, the night ended in sex.

Score for me.

For the next few weeks, we just switched between doing outdoor activities and hanging out with friends. Despite my own previous beliefs, I had become rather close with Emmett thanks to that.

From there, we planned a trip to Seattle where Me, Rory, Leah, Jasmine, Jacob, and Seth accompanied Bree back to her home where she had some final unfinished business.

In other words, she wanted her belongings from her apartment and needed someone to help her out. So, we helped and after that Bree took us for a tour around all of Seattle. She showed us all her favourite spots from the mall to the park where her parents used to take her as a kid and it was great.

Unfortunately, after a week we had to go home but the fun didn't end there.

My birthday passed in August and for it, Rory had fixed up a truck for me with Jacob's help and had set up a big party for me.

There was a stage in the center of the backyard she had used to set up the party and I remember after the cake was served she had gotten up on it and looked at me with a smile.

"Happy birthday Paul. This past year, you've made what was supposed to be a punishment for me, into the best year I've had in... I don't know how long. So, for you, my good sir" The crowd laughed slightly at her antics and with that she started singing to the music that echoed through the speakers behind her.

"How glad the many millions

Of Timothy's and William's Would-be,

To capture me

But you had such persistence

You wore down my resistance

I fell, and it was swell

You're my big and brave and handsome Romeo

How I won you I shall never, never know

It's not that you're attractive

But oh, my heart grew active

When you came into view

I've got a crush on you, sweetie pie

All the day and nighttime, hear me sigh

I never had the least notion

That I could fall with such emotion

Could you coo, could you care

For a cunning cottage, we could share

The world will pardon my mush

'Cause I've got a crush, my baby, on you

Could you coo, could you care

For a cunning cottage, we could share

The world will pardon my mush

'Cause I've got a crush, my baby, on you"

In a fit of shock and joy I ran up to her and gave her a huge hug as she returned it in full and in that moment surrounded by the people, And person, I love,

I felt Alive.

Now as the summer came to a close I sat with Rory in my arms as we basked under the stars.

"Hey." She called from beside me on her rooftop.

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever noticed how ugly Bella's wedding ring is?"

I damn near fell off the roof at her comment before hollering a good laugh. She looked at me grinning while she stood up to help me.

"What? It's true."

"You can't go saying that about the wedding ring that's been in the Cullen family for generations and just act like it's nothing."

"I don't know it's just, really fucking ugly you know?" She sat beside me.

"Alright, then what type of wedding rings aren't ugly to you?" I chuckled, though I had to admit, I was now paying pretty close attention to her answer for future reference.

"Personally, I think wedding rings are overall a waste of money, like in my opinion just a simple metallic band would do perfect, maybe with a little engraving but I don't want some big diamond sticking out. Trust me I've worn rings like that and holy fuck, they get caught on EVERYTHING." Her emphasis on the explanation was amusing as she bantered on about the lack of meaning in a wedding ring before quickly moving on to other creations for girls that were meaningless but my mind still lingered on the ring.

I didn't have some family heirloom to give her so I was thankful for her opinion but if I ever did propose I'd want it to be special.

"What about you?" Her questioning zoned me back in as I looked at her confused.

"Huh?"

She only rolled her eyes lightly. "What would your Ideal wedding be?"

Without hesitation, I responded. "Anything that includes you beside me."

There was a moment of longing silence before Rory, being Rory, had to go and ruin the moment.

"Are you asking me to be your best man?" Our eyes met in a serious state but it didn't last long as we both ended up doubling over. We laughed like we never would again before settling into our previous position.

"I agree." She finally blurted out.

I turned my gaze over to her soft features as she looked out into the forest before her. Her eyes never leaving their focused direction. "Any wedding where it's you I'm marrying seems pretty ideal to me."

My heart pounded at her statement even after a minute of letting it sink in before I reached out my hand and turned her face to my own. And slowly I pressed a loving kiss to her soft lips. We sat there in blissful silence until the sun rose, sharing nothing but soft kisses and a warm embrace until I chose to make her A promise. One I intended to keep.

"I'll be the one you marry Aurora Swan. I promise." 

***

Lowkey a shit chapter but they're so cute I literally can't. 

Is it even possible to OTP a ship you created?

idk.

<3