Chapter 13

Song: A Teenagers Romance (Ricky Nelson)

RORY'S POV

"Aren't we not supposed to be out here right now with all those bear attacks" I grimaced as Bella and I tracked up a large hill.

"We'll be fine." She casually reassured me. Though I did not feel all that reassured.

After a week of Bella back to her screaming nights and unpleasant mood swings, she finally decided to give herself some time to think on a hike.

In the middle of nowhere

Coincidentally at the same time that bears had apparently been going around killing people.

People hiking...

much like we were doing now.

We walked for what felt like hours until A grand field of blossoming flowers erupted around us. The trees we had come from now long forgotten as I smiled at the open space of colour.

"Edward was the first person to bring me here," Bella mumbled but she knew I wouldn't respond. It was a decision I stuck by to stay out of Bella's problems and I intended to stay in that position. However, I had to admit the view was beautiful and to share such a secluded spot with someone seemed special. I had to wonder why he would just leave after such an act.

We sat like that for what had to be hours before finally the two of us were ready to go.

"Bella." Someone Called my cousin as our eyes raked the treeline.

"Laurent!" She said back.

The fuck?

I was officially confused. Why did this random, might I add oddly beautiful, guy just say my cousin's name, and why did she know his.

"I didn't expect to find you here. I went to visit the Cullens, but...the house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a, um, ...a pet of theirs?" My distaste for the Cullens was growing almost as quickly as the sour taste that was appearing in my mouth.

The taste I got when my body would tell me to be in defence mode, which I was. Moving in front of Bella I looked towards the man who paid me no mind.

"Do the Cullens visit often?" Laurent questioned

"Yeah, absolutely, all the time."

'she's such a bad liar it hurts.' I mentally facepalmed

"I'll tell them that you stopped by. I probably shouldn't tell... Edward. Because he's pretty protective." She tried again, just as unconvincing as the first time.

"But he's far away, isn't he?" 

"Why are you here?" She finally blurted out. 

"I came as a favour to Victoria. She asked me to see if you were still... ...under the protection of the Cullens. Victoria feels it's only fair to kill Edwards mate...  given he killed hers. An eye for an eye." At this point, I had my hand ready to pull out the knife I had stuffed in my back pocket, though he still didn't see me as a threat.

Which meant I still had the upper hand.

"Edward would know who did it! And he'd come after you." Bella tried her luck with a threat, but her tone was giving her away. Still, I didn't speak. 

"I don't think he will. After all, how much could you mean to him... ...if he left you here unprotected?" Now that one had to have hurt. I wanted to at least check on her but with the position, I was in, I couldn't move."

"Victoria won't be happy about me killing you. But I can't help myself. You're so mouthwatering"

Bella begged him to leave her be but he wouldn't listen and at this point, I had caught on to one thing