Chapter 40

Today I'm going on a date with Zweli and Khanya. We are finally breaking the news to her and I hope it doesn't change how she feels about me. She's close to being a teenager and a lot changes with this human beings.

My phone rings and I answer. It's Zweli asking me what colours am I wearing, I mean really are we going to match outfits now? I just answer with black jeans and white tee. I continue fixing my hair, it's still my Afro because someone begged me the entire week not to remove it. I just think he loves playing with it cause that's what he's been doing with it.

Now am done and ready to leave, I just have to wait for these two. Oh my car broke down one of the reason someone doesn't allow me to drive it. It can still move but the fact that something is loose is just a no drive. I go sit in the lounge. Listening to music.

I decide to call ma just to keep time going. We talk about how she likes babysitting Konke's baby and how I should convince the mom not to fetch her. She must be getting real old, I mean the mom also misses her and she's only 3 months. They whined her off breastfeeding because mom had to go back to school. We move from the baby to me and not having any baby, guys like for real should I just have a kid with every guy I meet cause if I count I would be having 10 in the past 9 years, excluding my angel baby. Story for another day.

I let her know she'll have her grandchild when she stops asking which makes her shut up. I hear a car pull up outside and conclude the call with Ma. I switch off the music and walk to the door where I am met by Mr handsome wearing a greyish white T-shirt, blue Jeans and white sneakers. Miss Kay is in a black denim dress with white T-shirt and sandals. So she's my match.

"Well she wanted to dress up like her favourite person" he says, maybe that's because I looked at him.

"Hey Missy" I say to Khanya

"Hey Aunty Tay" she says with a wide smile.

"You don't want us to walk in your house?" Zweli asks. Mxm

I know once he gets in he'll decide we sit in and do order in so yeah I don't want him inside my house. I answer with 'you of course not, Kay may come in' and he laughed his sarcastic laugh.

We walk to the car. Khanya jumps to the back and I attempt to follow but I'm asked 'who do you think will chauffeur the both of you', so I put my tail between my legs and take the front.

"Aunty Tay, why don't you visit home anymore?" Khanya asks

"I've been busy missy, I'll come visit soon okay" I say

"Okay but when is soon?" She asks. There goes 1000 questions

"She'll come today after lunch" Zweli answers. Wow just wow Zwelakhe!!

"For real. I've got some game to teach you and dad" she says beaming with joy.

I look at the grinning Zweli, I so wish I can wipe that grin with a Klap. I focus on the road, his hand almost touched mine and he quickly made it as though he was changing the gear. Poor baby, he wants to hold me but we could be asked 'why are you holding aunty Tay's hand' that's just Khanya.

We argue with Zweli on where to eat but me and Khanya wins because we out voted him and both chose Krispy Kreme, yes we are doughnuts girls. We get to Kreme and order we then find a table. Zweli clears her throat and I know just what that means

"Ariee. I brought you on this duo date to inform you that aunty Tali and I are seeing each other" he states.

"I already knew that but I was waiting on you guys to tell me about it,also I thought y'all broke up cause aunty Tay never came home anymore or maybe she came and left early but still I wouldn't have know cause then I would be ...." she says so hastily and Zweli cuts her off with "shut up child"

She giggles. The first part left me in awe. How did the child know though.

"Don't worry I like you and you'll make a great mom, you always have" she adds which shuts me completely.

"So does that mean that you are accepting aunt Tali to be my girlfriend" Zweli asks with a smile.

"Preferably wife cause girlfriend is under qualified." She says and her dad widens his eyes.

"Where did you get all this young girl?" Zweli asks. I'm still shocked.

"Dad I watch movies, and don't worry they are my age. Mickey's mom also has a new boyfriend. Also aunty Tali made you give me some us time, you hardly did that." She says and we are both shocked. This child is not even thirteen yet.

Zweli looks at me. Well I've said a lot in mind. This child battled me to life shame.

"I'm glad that you like me." That's all I manage to say. Honestly am not expecting a lot from her nor sunshine because she grew up knowing her mom passed away and she was okay with being without a mom all along so she could push me away into mothering her. Or she could be open to it.

"Okay with all that's happening. May i please ask the both ask the two of you for something" she utters. I just wonder.

Daddy just says 'shoot'.

"May i not be punished for the drama that the both of you will or might go through. If you have a fight or break up. Promise that I won't be affected by  all this" she says.

Clap once!! I am so done with capital letter D.

"Khanya!!!"

"That's my only request and I promise I will be a good girl" she says so cheesy as though she didn't just dropped a bomb. "So do you promise?" She asks

We both look at each other. I don't think we thought things till this far. I mean what happens if we break up? How will we not include her?

Deep sigh!!

"We promise we will make it work" Zweli says. He just had to.

"Okay. Aunty Tay when are we going to our Cape Town trip that you promised?" She beams as though she just remembered.

This child defeats me at a lot of things. Today I just surrender.

"We are going next week on Thursday" I answer abruptly. Well according to the schedule I am open to leave.

She looks at me as though I am just bluffing or something.

"Are you for real?"

"As a judge." I say. She giggles and utters "isn't it that they say 'as sober as a judge?'. 

I am done!

Why is this guy next to us so quite. I think he's enjoying our little convo cause he's moving his eyes from me to Kay as we speak. He's even grinning on us.

"Whatever child. But we are definitely going next week. I'll book our flight on Tuesday"

"No don't worry about the flight I've got it figured out. Uncle Sizwe owes me a favour and it's about time he pays" Khanya remarks.

Zweli and I laugh. What a child we have and it's going to be a long way for grooming to adult life.

We continue talking but mostly listening to Khanya telling us about school and how her teacher thinks they are Grade 1s with the work she gives them. She's smart so whatever work you give her must be her level or just above cause she's fast like that.

Zweli tried to fit himself on the trip but dearest daughter put her foot down to "it's a woman's thing dad." My poor man. He'll be strong though.

We went shopping for food and head back to home. That being Zweli's place.