9. Midnight Victorious

"So Rahul, huh?", Riya said smirking at me during lunch break. Mishti was on leave.

I shrugged, shoving a spoonful of tomato rice into my mouth.

"Oh please! He took you to that Tashan thing. How much plainer can a person make it?"

"I paid the bill though", I said chewing the rice slowly.

"He's progressive", Riya said brightly, "Come on, you don't want one of those guys who'll annoyingly grab your wallet and refuse to let you pay, do you?"

"Come on Riya.."

"But there's a hundred other things too!", Riya said talking over me eagerly, "Where to start! He helped you escape Varun, dropped you in school when you missed the bus, comforted you when your dad didn't call, chatted with you secretly infront of his parents, he looks great, is part of a hot young band, has a good following on social media and from whatever you told me...he's very friendly and kind hearted too. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?"

I pursed my lips and fell back into my chair.

"Besides, you're going to finish school in a few months", Riya added coaxingly "This is the perfect age to have a relationship".

"And you're sixty five years old, are you?", I asked grinning at her, "Why don't you start going out with Abeer?"

"I'm....well, lately... we're talking about you Zoya!"

"I don't know", I said truthfully "I feel really intimidated sometimes when he speaks about his friends and all. They seem to be very cool people".

"We are cool people too!", Riya said fiercely, slamming her hand on the table, "In fact we are the coolest people in this school. We are not some desperate wannabes. We don't follow rules. We're rule breakers. The most nefarious rule breakers of St Xavier's!"

"Okay, okay.."

"But come on!", Riya said changing her tone and giving me a sceptical look, "It's not his friends you're afraid of. It's him!", she continued understandingly "He's older. He's in a band. I get it. It's scary."

"I'm not always scared around him", I said defensively.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Sometimes when I see him walking upto me just want to go and lick the side of his face".

"Oooh la la!", Riya crooned and then after a paise, added "I can't wait to meet him. Can I call him jiju?"

"Sure. And why don't you print our wedding invitations too and distribute it to the whole class, you bitch?" I asked.

Riya ignored me and continued, "Look, he's made every effort so far. Now it's your turn. Invite him somewhere today evening".

"Can't. Our landlady invited me and mom to go and watch the horse race in Mahalakshmi arena tonight".

The lunch bell rang drowning my voice completely.

"Oh my God! We're late again", Riya said as she got up hastily.

As we walked back to class, I mused about what Riya had said. Her talk had opened up a whole new vista of frightening possibilities for me.

Mishti and Reyansh had been going out since last year and there had never been any drama between them. Maybe I could do that with Rahul too?

 Maybe I could do that with Rahul too?