24. Blood Ties

I cornered Abeer the next day and tackled him about the situation with Mrs Arora.

Only while talking to him, I realised the guy was way more distressed than I had thought.

"I should've realised this plan was nonsense", he said regretfully "Initially, it was just that coffee and some chatting. So it was fine. But then Mrs Arora began taking time to make delicacies for me. Besan ki ladoos, rasagullas and coconut barfis. Then she realised I wasn't very fond of Indian sweets so she started buying donuts and cakes and all sorts of things. It's obvious that she isn't very rich and I feel so bad to see her spending money on me. I can't believe I'm making a fool of such a nice woman. Besides my mom is very interested to know why I'm gaining weight when I work out everyday".

"Oh God, Abeer!", I said, feeling insanely sorry for both him and Mrs Arora.

"And the worst part is that it's apparently Darsh's birthday today", continued Abeer "I tried telling Mrs Arora that I was holding a party for my friends, but she insisted that I should go and see her in the afternoon even if it's for just half an hour. I would die of guilt if she had got me a present or something!"

This was a new and even bigger problem.

"Did you agree to go?", I asked.

"What else could I do?", Abeer said "And she asked me to bring a friend if I wanted".

"This is perfect Abeer", I said now thinking fast "We have the opportunity to finish this today. I'll come with you".

"What? No.."

"Listen Abeer. I was there with Riya when we met Mrs Arora for the first time. So she knows me. I'll come with you and let's tell her the truth together. I'm sure she will be angry but at least it will be over. Let's finish this today. This is our only chance!"

"Tell her the truth?", Abeer looking horrified.

"Yes Abeer", I said firmly "We can't go on with this charade forever. You and I both know that the person responsible for this drama is still completely in bliss. We will tackle her too. But after telling Mrs Arora the truth".

"Tackle..tackle Riya?", Abeer asked looking even more horrified.

"Exactly", I said.

"Riya will flip out", Abeer said shaking his head.

"Let her flip out", I said "She needs to know, it's simply not done to create trouble like this".

"But isn't she your best friend?", Abeer asked.

"That's exactly why I'm doing this", I said glumly.

The seconds seemed to fly like straw as I and Abeer dragged our footsteps to Mrs Arora's after school

I had decided to take the second trip on the school bus. We had exactly thirty minutes to break the truth, face the brunt of it and get back.