35. Restart

"What are you doing?", I asked as Riya tightened her grip on my wrist and pulled me closer, "Am I finally about to discover something about your sexuality?"

"Shut your foul mouth", Riya said "I want to ask you about Josh. Do you like him?"

"Riya enough with this nonsense. When I want matchmaking service, I'll ask you".

"You remember him from an event you attended, more than six months ago?"

"Get a grip Riya", I said freeing myself from her and waddled to the other end of the room towards Maya who had abandoned her place near the music system and was dancing with the others now. I could do with an enemy-turned-friend right now.

"Hey girl", Maya said twirling her hair in the air and grooving, "Wanna join me?".

"Sure", I said grabbing a shot which stood ready the next table and draining it. Reyansh was a boss at parties, man.

I moved over to Maya and we both started doing a silly movement repeatedly.

Maya looked behind me and called out, "Hey Josh, come and join us. Zoya, have you met Josh yet?"

Oh no!

"Maya, I think I'll go and grab another drink", I mumbled.

"Oh no you don't. Come here, you have to meet Josh", she said.

"I've already met him".

"It's okay, you can meet him again".

Riya was one thing, but Maya?

"You two talk while I grab all of us drinks", Maya said waddling through to the next table.

There was an awkward silence as Josh stood next to me. I could never talk to him easily, the way I talked to Rahul.

"You want to dance?", he asked.

Okay, he was as quick as Rahul.

"Yeah", I said as we clasped each others' hands and started swaying. Riya would tease the life out of me if she saw this.

But to be honest, I didn't feel anything when I danced with Josh. I felt a sudden fondness for Josh but it was like dancing with a friend. I would feel the same way if I danced with Reyansh.

"So I was thinking..", Josh said.

I thought I knew what was coming.

"..how about we go on a date?"

Bingo!

"See...I'm actually taking a break from guys right now".

Josh looked surprised, "Oh..oh okay".

I smiled politely and watched as he walked off in the opposite direction.

And then something clunked inside my head.

"Josh!" I called out as he turned and raised his eyebrows at me, "The break is over", I said.