33. Boards

"Register number 60523?"

"Present sir!", I cried raising my hand.

"Okay", Romil sir said making a note on his list.

The language exams were over and we were kicking off with Physics today.

It was the usual tense babble inside the school hall where they crammed us all till we were sent to our allotted classrooms.

Mishti was practically inside her book. Reyansh and Abeer sat ahead of us loudly chanting the Gauss law. Riya was reading one year's worth of notes that Mishti had lent her.

"What was I thinking?", Riya groaned suddenly "I'm too stupid to take the boards. I think I'll just say I have a headache and go home".

"Chill babe, chill!", Aaliyah said from her side.

It felt so weird (but in a good way) to see Aaliyah addressing Riya as 'babe'.

"They might even start dating", Mishti mumbled to me from behind her book but it was in a happy tone. She had been thrilled when Maya had turned up at her house for her birthday the previous week.

I gave a low whistle.

"You should consider taking the games teacher's place since we don't have one now", Reyansh said turning behind.

On our way out on the last day of regular school, we had seen Miss Mathur waiting outside Principal Rajvansh's office with her resignation letter. She was getting married and going to Hyderabad.

I was all for the wedding thing but I couldn't help wishing Miss Mathur had got married a few years back.

Some people had given up trying to drill anything more into their heads and were just trying to take deep breaths and relax. People like me. And Maya.

Maya saw me looking and smiled. A thing I would take a lifetime to get used to.

"I can't do anymore than this", she said shaking her head.

"Me neither", I said.

"Reyansh has been lending me Mishti's notes for the past few weeks", Maya added, "I learnt so much from those". There was nothing surprising about it. Half of our class, thrived on Mishti's notes.

"We all need partners like Mishti", Maya was going on, "I'm totally dating the class topper when I go to college even if he's dead ugly. But think about it, I'd good looking enough for both of us, won't I?"

"Yeah of course", I laughed.

"Okay children, you may get up and form a line..", I heard Principal Rajvansh's voice.

"You ever been in love Zoya?", Maya asked as we all got up putting away our books . I actually cringed.

"Err..no".

"I thought so. You're not that type of girl"

Ah.

I got up and made my way to the front with my pens and stuff. Because you know, even not-that-type of girls can't escape the board exam. It's inevitable.