14. Before The Tour

An enormous red velvet cake arrived at our class during the afternoon recess next day. Suhrit sir arrived a few minutes later announcing that it was his treat to our class.

"You have Riya and Zoya to thank", Suhrit sir said cheerfully when everybody looked politely confused, "They found my wallet for me".

I and Riya tried not to look too pleased with ourselves though we knew we didn't deserve it. I had taken only a few seconds to find the wallet and Riya hadn't done even that.

"You should lose your wallet more often sir", Reyansh said earnestly as laughter rang around the room.

"I wish he was teaching us. Too bad, we don't have History after tenth grade", Riya said licking the remains of her cake slice from her fingers.

"I'd vouch to switch him with Loukya mam or Romil sir anyday", Abeer said, "He might be a bit of a duffer.."

"He is no duffer!", Riya said immediately.

"Yeah", I nodded earnestly "He made a big fool out of us."

I and Riya had crept into the library right after lunch to find the question papers. There had been no question papers, however. Only a very angry Ms Fanaa who had chased us out if the library like we were dogs.

"Serves you two right for trying to cheat", said Mishti "Why can't you try and learn eh?"

Riya ignored her pointedly and said, "Abeer, I'm going to wash my hands. Wanna come?"

I looked at Riya in surprise. Was she actually going to take my suggestion to go out with Abeer, seriously?

As the two of them left the classroom, I got up and unabashedly ran after them.

When I reached the stairways leading to the washbasins on the second floor, I could clearly hear Riya and Abeer talking

When I reached the stairways leading to the washbasins on the second floor, I could clearly hear Riya and Abeer talking. I didn't have to be creepy anyway. If things got too intimate, I could always turn around and run back.

But Abeer and Riya it turned out seemed to be doing absolutely nothing on that zone.

On the contrary, Riya was telling him about Mrs Arora! That was the last topic I would have expected her to talk about to someone. That too Abeer.

"The poor lady. I feel so bad", Abeer was saying.

"I feel that too", Riya replied "But I do have a plan to cheer her up. But the plan takes a lot of guts and we need someone really ballsy to carry it off".

"Well, who's ballsier than you?", Abeer asked, as though this was the most obvious thing in the world, "Why don't you do it?"

"We need a guy to do this, Abeer", Riya said with the air of someone about to drop a big news, "I mean how can I pretend to be Mrs Arora's grandson and go and cheer her up?"