19. The Concert

"That's my bandmate Sia", Rahul said as a girl in denim shorts with red hair, three ear piercings and a guitar shaped tattoo running through her right forearm came up to us carrying a box of props.

I recalled seeing her in the newspaper article.

"And Sia, this is Zoya".

"Hi", I smiled.

Sia just nodded at me distractedly, "Rahul, we're up in twenty minutes", she said and without waiting for an answer, bounded off with the box.

"Woah, isn't she friendly!", I said, feeling totally pissed off.

"Don't take it personally, she's like that with everyone", Rahul said.

But I couldn't be so forgiving.

Stupid Sia!

My foul mood was almost immediately doused when Mishti came running to us, "Not late am I?", she asked anxiously.

"Not at all", I said "And Mishti you know who this is", I added gesturing at Rahul.

"Of course, the man of the moment!", Mishti said brightly "And we finally meet Rahul!", she said shaking hands with Rahul vigorously.

"Sorry we're last", I heard a voice behind me.

Riya was scuttling upto us with Krish tagging behind her "I'm very sorry Zo. But you know what my brother is like. Couldn't find his jeans, didn't know where his shoes were..."

"Oh you liar!", Krish burst out "You delayed us by slathering on thirty layers of mascara".

"He doesn't know what he's talking about", Riya said hastily, turning red, "Anyway, shall we go inside?"

Rahul looked highly amused by the little byplay of the Dixit siblings but didn't say anything.

"Rahul Saxena", he said simply, holding out his hand to her, "Zoya has told me so much about you and your...er... escapades".

"Hi!", Riya said making big eyes and pouting, forgetting her embarrassment, "And I've heard so much about you too. From the same source, of course".

I avoided Rahul's eyes.

"Anyway it was high time we met!", Riya continued and laughed loudly. Mishti gave an apologetic glance at Rahul.

"I know you!", Krish piqued up from behind her "You're one of the freak singer guys that my mom doesn't like. She says singers are bad boys".

"Shut. Up. Krish." Riya said dangerously as she grabbed Krish's ear and twisted it really hard and then turned to Rahul, her whole face now as scarlet as her lips, "I'm very sorry...my brother... he..well.."

"Oh, come on", Rahul said looking least upset and highly bemused.

We all trotted in after Rahul feeling rather starstruck seeing all the crowd. The smell of wine and an infectious party vibe hung in the air.

And Rahul did this everyday.

I was feeling very much in awe of him.

I gripped Rahul's hand as he led me forward. Riya, Mishti and Krish decently followed us at a slower pace talking between themselves.

As we approached the bar, Rahul waved at the barman who waved back brightly and automatically produced two tequila shots, placing them on the table.

Rahul picked one up and drained it, "Go ahead" he told me.

"It's okay", I said, feeling highly embarrassed.

"You're eighteen baby", Rahul said bracingly as he picked up the glass and held it out to me "It's legal and momma's never gonna find out".